Rainbow Cake - The Colors Mixed When Put In The Oven!

Baking By kingmustard Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 3:14am by infinitsky

kingmustard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kingmustard Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 8

http://www.chocolatetops.com/store/images/picts/Rainbox_cake.jpg

We were trying to create a simple rainbow cake like the above (but without the chocolate between the layers).

We created four mixtures and added coloring to each. Then we put the first one in a baking dish, added the second slowly on top, then third, then fourth. They didn't seem to mix. We then put it in to cook. However, when it finished cooking, it turned out like this:

http://yfrog.com/f1ebcakefailj

Any ideas?

7 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 8

The picture of the cake you wanted to make looks like the layers were baked separately.

kingmustard Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

The picture of the cake you wanted to make looks like the layers were baked separately.

They were all baked at the same time.

I layered the mixture whilst it was all still wet/un-baked. Is that why they mixed? They didn't mix when I was pouring them on top of each other but perhaps the heat made them run into each other?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 8

The different colored batters in your cake just sank into each other to the bottom of the cake. The batters will not stay separated when baked that way. I agree with msulli--to create the effect in the picture you provided, you must bake the layers separately.

kingmustard Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

The different colored batters in your cake just sank into each other to the bottom of the cake. The batters will not stay separated when baked that way. I agree with msulli--to create the effect in the picture you provided, you must bake the layers separately.

Then I'll give that a go tomorrow icon_smile.gif Thank you!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:23am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

They were all baked at the same time.

I layered the mixture whilst it was all still wet/un-baked. Is that why they mixed? They didn't mix when I was pouring them on top of each other but perhaps the heat made them run into each other?

I think they meant separate layers...so you would have had to bake each layer singularly to get the separate colors

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 8

I was trying to say that the photo with the filling in between each layer looked as if each color (layer) was baked separately and not all in one pan. However,I just did a quick search on You tube and there are some rainbow cake videos. It looks like you have to pour each color on top of each other but DO NOT try to spread them out. Just plop each color on top of the other. Let the batter fall naturally into the pan, one color on top of the other. Three colors to a pan.
That way the colors don't meld into one ugly color. Good luck.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:14am
post #8 of 8

All the CCers are correct about baking separate cakes. The other thing that I noticed was the color of your cake, I think you did not color the batters as intense as the effect you are trying to achieve. If you color the batters an intense color, you can bake them in seperate pans and then assemble the layers (like the cake in the picture you posted).
The other thing is you can bake them all in one pan and still get a colorful cake but in a different way (almost like a zebra cake, but colorful).
Check this out (the post on Jan/7/2009):
how to make a rainbow cake!
http://www.omnomicon.com/?s=rainbow+cake

HTH...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%