Wedding Cake Not Served!

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 21 Dec 2011 , 10:36pm by AnnieCahill

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:24pm
post #181 of 219

I have made cakes for friends bridal,birthday,shower and they thought it was so nice that they would not cut it. They wanted to save it for their husband, etc to see.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:47pm
post #182 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Well the in-law's 40th Wedding Anniversary cake was delivered and EATEN icon_eek.gif today!! Am considering it a huge victory, LOL. They didn't really get a choice...I just got in a cut it up. Then what was left I cut into hunks and gave to people as they were leaving (without even asking if that was okay icon_lol.gif )
I can feel my spine growing. icon_biggrin.gif

I love it. As crazy as it sounds, I've been waiting for the day when we could hear that happened. Now, I want to know what everyone else's reaction was to you doing this. But I love it.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:14pm
post #183 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:

Well the in-law's 40th Wedding Anniversary cake was delivered and EATEN icon_eek.gif today!! Am considering it a huge victory, LOL. They didn't really get a choice...I just got in a cut it up. Then what was left I cut into hunks and gave to people as they were leaving (without even asking if that was okay icon_lol.gif )

I love it. As crazy as it sounds, I've been waiting for the day when we could hear that happened. Now, I want to know what everyone else's reaction was to you doing this. But I love it.

I confess that I was so focused on my mission that I forgot to watch their faces. icon_cry.gif Nobody verbalised any protest though, so it was quite uneventful really ...except my SIL made what I thought *may* have been intended as a snide remark as we were leaving about the cake being gone, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Here are a couple pics before it was dismembered, for those who are interested. It was a 9" round, and a bit taller than usual (about a 6" tall cake):

cownsj Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #184 of 219

I amt sitting here laughing at that cake, it is just SOOOOOO cute. Your attention to detail is incredible. Fantastic job.

Ya know, I almost hope your SIL DID make a snide remark. Serves her right (Yes, pun intended). icon_lol.gif

I just had to edit to add this in: Did she get her "just desserts?".. HAHAHA

Coral3 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:33pm
post #185 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Ya know, I almost hope your SIL DID make a snide remark. Serves her right (Yes, pun intended). icon_lol.gif

It wasn't even her cake! icon_lol.gif

cownsj Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:41pm
post #186 of 219

That's better yet. ROFLMAO icon_wink.gif

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:44pm
post #187 of 219
Quote:

Yea Coral thumbs_up.gif

mama_amy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama_amy Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:35pm
post #188 of 219

This entire story has me cracking a big old smile while saying what the what the friction at the same time.

Glad the guests finally got some of the cake you make. I bet it is as delicious as it is beautiful.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:41pm
post #189 of 219

Don't worry about your SIL's remarks, I bet you a pound of butter she was scarfing up that cake along with everyone else!!! icon_lol.gif Now they not only got to see the lovely cake, they got to taste it too!

BTW - That cake is beautiful. Love the idea, love the execution. I give it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif (a ten).

Coral3 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:02am
post #190 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDear

Don't worry about your SIL's remarks, I bet you a pound of butter she was scarfing up that cake along with everyone else!!! icon_lol.gif Now they not only got to see the lovely cake, they got to taste it too!

BTW - That cake is beautiful. Love the idea, love the execution. I give it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif (a ten).

Thanks icon_smile.gif

SIL won't share HER cakes but she will happily eat other people's! icon_lol.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:33am
post #191 of 219

Coral, your cake is amazing. icon_eek.gif I would have loved to have had a cake like that for our 40th last month. Absolutely perfect!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:58am
post #192 of 219

I can totally understand not wanting to cut this perfect cake. Most people want to hold on to something so joyful to see.

This reminds me of the Buddhist mandala...those intricate and breathtaking sandpaintings. When they are completed after hundreds of hours of work, the monks brush them away with a sweep of a brush, symbolizing the temporal nature of all things.

Cake decorators spend endless hours developing original designs and then even more time executing them with the sole purpose of wowing the recipients and onlookers. True to the Buddhist mindset, those decorators are prepared and look forward to deconstructing that work with the a sweep of a knife all for the enjoyment of others.

cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:42am
post #193 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I can totally understand not wanting to cut this perfect cake. Most people want to hold on to something so joyful to see.

This reminds me of the Buddhist mandala...those intricate and breathtaking sandpaintings. When they are completed after hundreds of hours of work, the monks brush them away with a sweep of a brush, symbolizing the temporal nature of all things.

Cake decorators spend endless hours developing original designs and then even more time executing them with the sole purpose of wowing the recipients and onlookers. True to the Buddhist mindset, those decorators are prepared and look forward to deconstructing that work with the a sweep of a knife all for the enjoyment of others.

This is where we need a "like" button.... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Coral3 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #194 of 219

^ like!

One of the things I love about fondant modelling and cake decorating in general is that what you produce is NOT permanent...cakes are made to be destroyed & enjoyed! I can only imagine what my house would look like if everything I've ever made was sitting around on a shelf somewhere collecting dust! That seems to be the problem with a lot of other crafts... they produce dust-collecting knick-knacks, that nobody really needs yet can't be thrown out.

Actually I did make the topper of that cake so it could be kept as a dust collector if they wish...I made the whole 'tiled floor' area onto its own cake board, so the scene could be lifted off in one piece.

ShakyCakes99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShakyCakes99 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #195 of 219
Quote:

I didn't feel like it was my place to ask why she wouldn't serve it - it's the bride's day after all so what she says goes! (and as Julesh268 said, it was a gift - what they choose to do with their gift is their business.)

Thanks all, for your nice comments about it. I was a bit nervous at the thought of having to make a three tiered cake when I'd never even made a two tier before...I ended up making a two tier 'practice cake' before-hand just to figure out what to do!

I am just appalled right now! I wonder if the bride would have cut the cake if she had actually paid for it???

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #196 of 219

Good for you! But it's just killing me...I want to know WHY!!! Has anyone directly asked that question? WHY are they showing a cake that won't be served...why?? Have they ever offered any type of explanation? It's driving ME nuts...I can't imagine what you've gone through! I can't imagine that after announcing that she wasn't going to be serving the pink cake, that no one said anything! How is that possible? Aaaaggghhhh!! Sorry, I just think this is weird. And your cakes are fabulous!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:49pm
post #197 of 219

Your cakes and fondant figures/designs are STUNNING!

cakecraft, on Mon Jan 24, 2011 said,
"I just read through this entire thread...it's like seeing a traffic accident, you don't want to see but can't look away."

SO TRUE!!! I had SOOOO much fun reading this whole saga and hearing your tale of the In-Laws highly dysfunctional cake behavior along with everyone else's weird stories.

As other posts have said, Please, Please keep the stories coming! We could follow this thread for years......

cownsj Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 5:12pm
post #198 of 219

Exactly Apti. This is one "older" thread that when I saw the topic come up in my email, my heart did a little jump, hoping for another crazy story to get me laughing again.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 6:20pm
post #199 of 219

I know this is an old thread, but I find it very interesting and I gotto tell my story.

Last year I made a cake for an engagement dinner of a family member(the groom is our family)..is the 8" cake, in my gallery, with an image of the guy proposing to the girl.
The cake was chocolate and even though I don't like chocolate it smelled delicious. The engagement dinner was at a small restaurant and about 12 people attended. At the end of the dinner the bride wouldn't cut the cake and one of her friends made a comment such: we're waiting for cake...she acted like she didn't hear. Time went by and people were still waiting so I said "you haven't cut your cake yet (my 4yr old grandson wanted some!)...again she pretended she didn't hear! icon_confused.gif
To make a long story short, everyone got tired of waiting and left, and she took the whole cake with her without saying anything!! The next day she send me an email to thank me for a delicious cake.... icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif
WTH!!!! oh and these are a weird couple that never got married, broke up, reconciled, broke up, reconcilied and next month they are having another engagement dinner. So, as you can imagine she asked me again to make a cake...

Me: Thank you for the envite, but due to a previous engagement I won't be able to attend.
She: but could you still make us one of your delicious cakes then? icon_surprised.gif
Me: "No"!!!!!!!!

***Can people really eat that much cake by themselvessss?????***

Rosie2 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 6:22pm
post #200 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Please, Please keep the stories coming! We could follow this thread for years......

I just did icon_biggrin.gif LOL

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 6:57pm
post #201 of 219

This thread has kept me entertained for the whole hour that it took me to read thru the entire thing! How definitely weird....in a funny sort of way! I'm used to people bagging up my decorated cookies and keeping them in the freezer, but not serving the wedding cake? Or the birthday cake? None of it? Really odd.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 7:32pm
post #202 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

....and next month they are having another engagement dinner. So, as you can imagine she asked me again to make a cake...

Me: Thank you for the envite, but due to a previous engagement I won't be able to attend.
She: but could you still make us one of your delicious cakes then? icon_surprised.gif

Golly, Gee, Rosie, you didn't make [her] them another cake???? This had the potential for about 3 or 4 cakes if they break up and then reconcile....

gb89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gb89 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 8:32pm
post #203 of 219

Maybe I missed it, but did 3 people REALLY eat a three tier cake by themselves? Did they at least share with your parents?

Rosie2 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 9:59pm
post #204 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:

....and next month they are having another engagement dinner. So, as you can imagine she asked me again to make a cake...

Golly, Gee, Rosie, you didn't make [her] them another cake???? This had the potential for about 3 or 4 cakes if they break up and then reconcile....

Ha,ha,ha!!! I knowwww, huh? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif and I've heard rumors that she's gonna ask me to make her wedding cake. So, guess what my answer is gonna be?? ---I'm gonna be the 'Cake Nazi' ---NO CAKE FOR YOU!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:56pm
post #205 of 219

WOW! boy am I glad that this thread just showed up...I LOVED READING EVERY PAGE!

first of all, i can't believe it took you THIS long to cut one of those cakes icon_wink.gif hahahaha

second, i totally have an opinion about this icon_twisted.gif THEY think of the cake as a gift...you are BRINGING a cake for them (not charging) and because it's THEIR gift they feel that they should be able to do with it what they wish. Not everyone views cakes the same way as we do! While this may be the answer to this crazy family's ways...it is still very rude and CRAZY!

btw, you do AMAZING work! icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:09pm
post #206 of 219

I'll just post the link to my recent experience! In brief: Close to 400 servings of cake in the freezer, to be used, "Oh, at some point".

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7228274.html#7228274

Coral3 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:18pm
post #207 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb89

Maybe I missed it, but did 3 people REALLY eat a three tier cake by themselves? Did they at least share with your parents?

Well they didn't exactly share it around much. From what I gather, the bride let her parents (my parents in law) have a little of it, and they've eaten some of it themselves (although I have no idea how much). About a year later I was given a little chunk (about 2-3 serves worth). But I think there's STILL a heap sitting in the freezer (nineteen months later) - my parents in law had their 40th wedding anniversary in June this year and my MIL at one point suggested that they could serve the wedding cake at that, "because there's still a heap in the freezer".

I suspect that not even one small tier out of the three has been eaten, but I don't really know. I'm too scared to ask how much didn't get consumed, because I know the waste will annoy me.

Only a couple of weeks ago MIL asked me if the frozen wedding cake would still be okay to eat... icon_rolleyes.gif I told her that it would probably still be okay, but it's been so long - just throw it out. Then I asked her if the bride ever told her WHY she didn't want the cake eaten at the wedding. She didn't know why, didn't like to say anything at the time, and hadn't heard the bit about the bride saying 'nobody was hungry'.

I've given up trying to comprehend their cake-hoarding ways. icon_rolleyes.gif

Coral3 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:39pm
post #208 of 219
Quote:

I know this is an old thread, but I find it very interesting and I gotto tell my story.

Last year I made a cake for an engagement dinner of a family member(the groom is our family)..is the 8" cake, in my gallery, with an image of the guy proposing to the girl.
The cake was chocolate and even though I don't like chocolate it smelled delicious. The engagement dinner was at a small restaurant and about 12 people attended. At the end of the dinner the bride wouldn't cut the cake and one of her friends made a comment such: we're waiting for cake...she acted like she didn't hear. Time went by and people were still waiting so I said "you haven't cut your cake yet (my 4yr old grandson wanted some!)...again she pretended she didn't hear! icon_confused.gif
To make a long story short, everyone got tired of waiting and left, and she took the whole cake with her without saying anything!! The next day she send me an email to thank me for a delicious cake.... icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif
WTH!!!! oh and these are a weird couple that never got married, broke up, reconciled, broke up, reconcilied and next month they are having another engagement dinner. So, as you can imagine she asked me again to make a cake...

***Can people really eat that much cake by themselvessss?????***

Good on you for saying NO!!

There are some people around who are really after anything they can get from family and 'friends' - they're the ones who invite everyone they've ever known to things like engagement parties, thinking of all the presents they'll get. I have (had) one 'friend' like that...she had TWO engagement parties, THREE bridal showers, plus the wedding - ALL of which were present-giving occasions...not one invitation said 'No Presents Please'. Then about 12months later I visited her one day and she was getting organised for a garage sale: the things she had out to sell were obviously engagement/wedding presents, most of which were still in the packaging.

The same bride as in this thread had a previous engagement. They had a huge engagement party, got a heap of gifts, (some very generous gifts, including cash and cheques from Aunties & Uncles etc) - then they broke up only two weeks later. Did they give ANY of the gifts back? Nup. Kept them all.

Some people are after anything and everything they can get, if it costs them nothing. If they can get a free cake, great! If they can keep it all for themselves and not share it, even better! thumbsdown.gif

Rosie2 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 6:15am
post #209 of 219

Hi Coral3, yesssss that's exactly how this couple are!!! anything and everything they can get for free. And, of course, they know I'm a hobby baker and if I make a cake it's gonna be free. That's why she wants me to make her wedding cake.
Ohhh but I can be the Cake Nazi---"no cake for youuuu"!!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 5:47pm
post #210 of 219

Oh, this thread is too funny! Very entertaining. I have discovered there are all types of people and you will never figure some of them out. I am making my own wedding cake, and will have more than needed. I definitely intend to serve it to my guests!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%