Decorating By Coral3 Updated 21 Dec 2011 , 10:36pm by AnnieCahill

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 10:34pm
post #151 of 219

Sorry ladies...you're right.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 11:11pm
post #152 of 219

artscallion, I used to be in your state, but found it was just too stressful....... icon_wink.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:36am
post #153 of 219

_____________________ UPDATE __________________________

Okay, this is just funny now. I took a cake for my SIL's birthday gathering yesterday, and - yes, you guessed it - the cake was not served, LOL. When it came cake-time SIL actually announced to everyone Nobody's getting a piece of the pink cake! At this point I'm not to letting it bother me. I took it knowing full well what they're like with cake, and to be honest it's gotten to the point where it's just so absurd that I can laugh about it (not to their faces though, of course). icon_rolleyes.gif

One of these days though when I've taken a cake to one of their family functions, without saying a word I'm going to grab the biggest knife I can find and just go ahead and cut myself a whopping great chunk of cake just to see their faces. icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #154 of 219

By this time, I think I would be shocked if you told us they actually cut and shared the cake..... lol
I'm glad you can laugh about it now. I'd love to see their faces too when they refuse to cut it. OR, if you feel you can't do that, have a 2nd cake in the car, go get it and just put it down and begin cutting, but don't give them a piece....

Coral3 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:59am
post #155 of 219

I can well imagine them being royally pissed off with me if I cut the cake. There would be much bitching about me behind the scenes I'm sure!

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:59am
post #156 of 219

My family speaks their minds too much! This would not go over well at a family function with my relatives! They'd be like 'hold up, we want cake!'. And if they said no one was getting any, they'd get an ear full from several people!
It's like 'give me presents, but you can't have any of my cake!' RUDE!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #157 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1956

I had a similar experience. A friend of mine asked me to make her son's wedding cake. A 3 tier amaretto cake with amaretto filling. It is the piano wedding cake in my pics. Well, they had purchased sheet cakes to be served to go along with the one I made and when it came time to cut the cake, the bride and groom cut a piece and then the reception hall served the sheet cakes only! No one got any of the amaretto cake. There was easily $60.00 worth of liquor in that cake. Then, it took days to find out what actually happened to the cake after that. I finally found out that the bride and groom got the top layer but the kitchen kept the rest of the cake! Can you imagine.

Holy crap! I hope the kitchen compensated for that! All these stories are blowing my mind and making me mad! I work banquets and while we may sneak a taste of the cake, it is only after we make sure every guest is served. Any untouched tiers get wrapped and go to the wedding party.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:02am
post #158 of 219

Coral3, I hope by now you are only making them small single tier cakes. I have never seen such selfishness...

Coral3 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:18am
post #159 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

Coral3, I hope by now you are only making them small single tier cakes. I have never seen such selfishness...

Yes, this last one was a small one tier icon_lol.gif

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:32am
post #160 of 219

I just read through this thread for the first time, I know I'm kinda late to the party...lol...OP, I would have been pissed...I'm a blunt, straight forward, no BS kind of person. I would have asked her why the cake wasn't being served. I would have been even more pissed when the mother of the bride told me I couldn't have a piece. What the hell is wrong with these people? They are treating cake like it's some rare find that they have to ration out like it's the last cake on earth. How trashy.

Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:01am
post #161 of 219

Okay, so I know this thread is old and wouldn't drag it up again, except MIL said something to me yesterday that's got me mulling it over again. Keep in mind that this is now fourteen months after SIL's wedding cake didn't get eaten. So yesterday MIL says to me: "Now Coral, SIL told me that she's asked you to make our 40th Anniversary cake. We still have a heap of The Wedding Cake in the freezer, why don't we just use some of that to save you making another cake?" Me: "Um, no. Don't do that, I'll just make another one."

In what world would you serve your daughter's wedding cake that had been in the freezer for FOURTEEN MONTHS to guests at your own wedding anniversary party? Or is that common and I just don't know about it?

My other thought is why DID they keep the WHOLE dang wedding cake for themselves? Clearly if they still have a heap left over more than a year later it wasn't so they could EAT it all.

Weird. I cant help but think it's reminiscent of some deranged psychopath who hoards a body in the freezer so he can keep it forever or something. I swear these people are not normal. LOL.

Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:07am
post #162 of 219

...and RE the anniversary cake: Yes, - horror of horrors - I did agree to make it...BUT I have already decided I'll be taking a great big knife along with it and I'll be cutting the dang thing into a million pieces if it's the last thing I do! In fact I'm really looking forward to seeing their faces when I do it. icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #163 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

Here's a pic, if anyone's interested:

I'm no professional decorator, but for a first wedding cake, first three tier, I was pretty happy with it (although In retrospect I should have had the bride & groom closer together).

It's a beautiful cake icon_wink.gif

mena2002 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:26am
post #164 of 219
Quote:

Here's the cake in question:

STUPIDLY I made way more cake than was needed (again), so they would have plenty left over to take home - Ha!

OMG icon_eek.gif Just gorgeous!

cownsj Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:26am
post #165 of 219
Quote:

Okay, so I know this thread is old and wouldn't drag it up again, except MIL said something to me yesterday that's got me mulling it over again. Keep in mind that this is now fourteen months after SIL's wedding cake didn't get eaten. So yesterday MIL says to me: "Now Coral, SIL told me that she's asked you to make our 40th Anniversary cake. We still have a heap of The Wedding Cake in the freezer, why don't we just use some of that to save you making another cake?" Me: "Um, no. Don't do that, I'll just make another one."

In what world would you serve your daughter's wedding cake that had been in the freezer for FOURTEEN MONTHS to guests at your own wedding anniversary party? Or is that common and I just don't know about it?

My other thought is why DID they keep the WHOLE dang wedding cake for themselves? Clearly if they still have a heap left over more than a year later it wasn't so they could EAT it all.

Weird. I cant help but think it's reminiscent of some deranged psychopath who hoards a body in the freezer so he can keep it forever or something. I swear these people are not normal. LOL.

First of all, please keep dragging this up. I am always dumbfounded and amazed at the saga that are your inlaws.....

Now, having said that, I'm guessing that since they don't intend to actually serve the cake, they have no problem bringing out the year old frozen cake because no one will know the difference. LOL But boy, the day you actually cut a cake in front of them and start serving, you had better be here to tell all your devote followers that their guests have finally been served a piece of your cake..... icon_surprised.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:28am
post #166 of 219

In this case, I will skip the pics of the cake and ask your hubby to take pics of their faces while you're hacking away!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mena2002 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:29am
post #167 of 219
Quote:

Here's the cake in question:

STUPIDLY I made way more cake than was needed (again), so they would have plenty left over to take home - Ha!

What cutters did you use for the lettering? It's so elegant.

cownsj Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:33am
post #168 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In this case, I will skip the pics of the cake and ask your hubby to take pics of their faces while you're hacking away!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ROFLMAO Oh yes, definitely. Those would be the best pictures of all.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:54am
post #169 of 219
Quote:

Your kidding - well no your not - thats so hilairious - i don't know anything that one can keep in their freezer for 14 months and it would still be edible - .............shivver

ROFLMAO again - too hilairious.

Arghhhhhhhhh - i saw a movie about that very subject years ago - i still have nightmares about it - icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Blue

Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:56am
post #170 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mena2002

I used these ones here, the Jem alphabet set. They are the biggest pain to use until you get the hang of them (unlike Tappits you can't 'whack' them to get the letter out), but I love the font. I also like how they come with lots of punctuation too, which most letter sets don't have. The trick with them is that you have to roll the fondant/gumpaste out so it is stuck to parchment paper, so when you lift the cutter the letter remains, then remove all the exess and only move the letters when dry.

mena2002 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:41am
post #171 of 219
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mena2002

I used these ones here, the Jem alphabet set. They are the biggest pain to use until you get the hang of them (unlike Tappits you can't 'whack' them to get the letter out), but I love the font. I also like how they come with lots of punctuation too, which most letter sets don't have. The trick with them is that you have to roll the fondant/gumpaste out so it is stuck to parchment paper, so when you lift the cutter the letter remains, then remove all the exess and only move the letters when dry.

Thanks Coral3

mena2002 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:45am
post #172 of 219

I'd also be interested to see what would happen if you agreed to let them use the wedding cake for their anniversary cake. Would they defrost the cake, have it displayed for their guests and after NOT serving the cake throw it back into the freezer? That would be interesting to see lol...

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 2:00am
post #173 of 219

In all of this, you don't say what your husband thinks of this. It's his family, does he think it's normal behavior? Or does he agree with you? Or is he a smart one, who just keeps his mouth shut, no matter what he thinks? lol

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:35am
post #174 of 219

Coral3
First let me say that both cakes are absolutely gorgeous and you should be proud of both of them...they are way better than what I could do as a hobbyist. You are by far the classiest in-law that family has and I applaud your husband for catching you!!!! You also must have nerves of steel and an iron skin to put up with the crap you have put up with. icon_wink.gif

Second let me also say that I know you pain as I married into that kind of family that half of them never bring anything to Thanksgiving dinner but always seem to walk out with three or four "to go" plates (and half a ham if they can get it past my glaring eyes). icon_mad.gif I have done many of my nieces and nephews wedding cakes as well as party cakes and after the first couple I overcame the "We gonna save us some cake" mentality by carrying Bertha with me...she's my cake carver. Right after the happy Birthdays and I-Do's I save that top tier (I bring a box to put it in) and then Bertha and I go to whackin on that cake like an ice sculpter with at thousand pound block of ice. After everyone is served, I politely tell the Bday person or bride that I have saved them their own cake and ask what if they want me to get rid of the remainder....if one whole cake icon_rolleyes.gif is enough, I cut and package the rest in those aluminum foil sheets you buy by the box which I keep in my toolbox. If there is lots of cake then the slices are big and if not they are regular size. I pile them on the table and then the "Crumbsnatchers" are free to do whatever they want unless the Bday/Bride wants to pass them out.

I don't know how you maintain your composure, I seriously dont but I have a few "Southern Girl" suggestions:

A- Bring a bunch of cuppycakes or mini cuppycakes instead of a cake in a paper box, put them out on the table and immediately tear up the paper box so they can't be repackaged... that will give folks a better shot of getting some sweet stuff!

B- Bring a small, pretty top 6 or 8 inch tier decorated like you want it. Make a larger tier cake decorated to coordinate but put it in a separate box and cut it up before you get to the party... they probably wont have any plates to serve it on so you might want to bring some small ones!

C- Get a Big Bertha of your own... icon_twisted.gif

You gotta watch out for those Crumbsnatchers, they are everywhere and they are quick too. Just don't let them snatch your joy of baking cause you have a real talent for it.

Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:40am
post #175 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettmybunny

In all of this, you don't say what your husband thinks of this. It's his family, does he think it's normal behavior? Or does he agree with you? Or is he a smart one, who just keeps his mouth shut, no matter what he thinks? lol

He doesn't think it's a big deal...I don't think he really cares if they get cut or not - I guess he figures it's their cake they can do what they like with it (whereas I think the whole purpose of the cake is to share around as part of the celebration, and if you're not going to share it with your guests then what's the point?) If it were a celebration of OURS, and we had invited people to our house and there was cake hed think it was stupid not to cut it though.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:18am
post #176 of 219

Your cake was beautiful but maybe they wanted the gift that keeps on giving, cake for months on end CAKE.. are they hoarders by chance icon_lol.gif

Coral3 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:26am
post #177 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice56

Your cake was beautiful but maybe they wanted the gift that keeps on giving, cake for months on end CAKE.. are they hoarders by chance icon_lol.gif

No, not at all.

Coral3 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:55am
post #178 of 219

Well the in-law's 40th Wedding Anniversary cake was delivered and EATEN icon_eek.gif today!! Am considering it a huge victory, LOL. They didn't really get a choice...I just got in a cut it up. Then what was left I cut into hunks and gave to people as they were leaving (without even asking if that was okay icon_lol.gif )
I can feel my spine growing. icon_biggrin.gif

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:08pm
post #179 of 219
Quote:

Well the in-law's 40th Wedding Anniversary cake was delivered and EATEN icon_eek.gif today!! Am considering it a huge victory, LOL. They didn't really get a choice...I just got in a cut it up. Then what was left I cut into hunks and gave to people as they were leaving (without even asking if that was okay icon_lol.gif )
I can feel my spine growing. icon_biggrin.gif

You Go Girl! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:58pm
post #180 of 219

Yay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%