Weight Of Cakes Stacked And Buttercream At An Outdoor Party

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 6:07pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 4

Question Number One:
How do I make a three tier cake and keep the tiers from squishing each other? I'm using the 10 inch, 8 inch and 6 inch pans. I'm thinking that there is going to have to be some kind of support in each tier. What do you pros use? Does each tier sit on the one beneath on some kind of cake board or platform with supports in the cake?

Question Number Two:
Does buttercream stand up to heat out doors? The cake I'm making will not be in direct sunlight, it will be under a tent. The weather here in Kansas is cooling off and the forcast is calling for sunny and 86 degrees. If I decorate in buttercream, flowers included, will it melt or fall apart??? Should I use something else? I don't do fondant yet!

Thanks!
Christina

3 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 4

the melting point of butter is about 85°F. So, If I were using buttercream, I would only use one that was all shortening based.

Yes, you do need an internal support system to hold the cakes up. They should not sit on each other, but on the support system. Here's a good video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaCSW78ybc&feature=related

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:03am
post #3 of 4

ditto the above on the support system.

My icing holds up great outdoors. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 4

Artscallion...Thank you so much for the video link. I love watching Edna perform her magic! I should have known to go looking for a tutorial by her! That helps a lot!

Indydebi...I love buttercream with actual butter it in, but I'm sure you both are right, I don't want to risk it melting! I'll definitely try your recipe, it seems to have gotten great reviews!

Thanks again!
Christina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%