Now I Have 50 Pounds Of Sweetex - Now What?

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 11:47pm by Uniqueask

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 31

I just purchased my first box of Sweetex, man that is a lot of shortening. Has anyone used it in Indydeb's buttercream recipe?

I can't wait to try it to see what the fuss is about.

30 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 31

Never tried it with Indydeb's recipe but Sugarshacks BC is out of this world!!!!!

Echooo3 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 31

Will sugarshack's recipe work in a 5 quart mixer?

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 31

I have never used Sweetex, but I use CK all the time. Hi-ratio will improve the taste and texture of ANY buttercream recipe you choose. Be forewarned....there will be no turning back to regular shortening....

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 31

How do you store 50 lbs?

Vkandis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vkandis Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Will sugarshack's recipe work in a 5 quart mixer?

Yeah I have seen recipes for 4.5, 5 and 6 quart mixers. The video on youtube shows it being made in a 5qt mixer.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 31

I get the 50 lb boxes and just keep it in the box on the bottom shelf of my baking rack, all closed up. Works just fine, although its much easier to move after I've used about half of it!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 31

You will not regret it. The hi ratio makes all the difference.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 31

We use alpine and weight it out into one pound amounts. Wrap it in Saran and store in thevoriginal box. Makes mixing icing a snap one pound butter and one pound alpine.......done.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 31

Yessss hi ratio is the bomb! icon_razz.gif And if you google "sugarshack buttercream in 5 QT mixer" or something like that you will be able to find one, or PM Sharon, I *think* I've seen her give out the recipe for a 5 QT. :]

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 31

Yes, I tried it with Indydeb's Icing and its wonderful.
Now we can't find Dream Whip in our area so I've reverted to my "cut down" formula from the bakery.
By the way-we always used Sweetex at the bakery.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #12 of 31

I love sweetex. I havent tried indy's or sharons bc. I have my own recipe that hasnt let me down or ever melted in humidity. I experiment with a lot things but wont change my bc. icon_biggrin.gif

I measured out how much I use in a batch of bc, then I made LOTS of sweetex balls, put them in individual freezer bags, squished them all flat, and they are stacked in the freezer. I love being able to just grab a bag and know that it is already measured and ready to go. It thaws really quickly.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:16am
post #13 of 31

Thats a lot of shortening!! I have no suggestions on how to store it, however, I have used it in both Sugarshacks and Indydebi's BC and I love it!! I think the texture and flavor is really good...and easy to work with. I actually think that Indydebi's is a bit less sweeter than SS...I think because of the dream whip!!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:07pm
post #14 of 31

I bet any janitorial supply store that has paper products for restaurants have tubs and lids you can divide it up in.

Ive been thinking about ordering a large amount and was perplexed on where to stash it.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 31

LOL! I feel your pain, sister! I did the same thing. I got the 50lb box and when I got it home it looked like 150lbs! I bought A LOT of those Gladware plastic tupperware-like things and filled each one, then put them in the XXL freezer ziploc bags and froze it all in my freezer downstairs. If I didn't have that extra freezer I'd be lost because I only do cakes for friends & family. Good tip though about the cling wrap. I had a smack my head moment-that would have been a lot easier and a lot more space-friendly!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:39pm
post #16 of 31

You will absolutely love the taste of your icing with Hi-Ratio shortening! I buy the 50 lb box of it also and I put about half of it into large tubs and stored them in the extra freezer and just left the other half wrapped in the bag and stored it in the freezer inside a clean trash bag. I just separated the last half the other day and am ready to start using it. I love the other storage tips of wrapping the amount you will use for a recipe and freezing it. That is what this site is for, helping others, and thanks to all of those who help.
evelyn

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 31

You can go to places like Walmart and get a tupperware type thing to hold it in. You can also get a kitchen sized trash can ((used only for storing this stuff)) and keep a plastic lining in it. There are also places online that sells containers to hold flour and sugar in bulk. I think King Arthur Flour iso one of them. But even if you just get a cheap kitchen trash can and double bag it with a twister seal, it will store nicely.
By the way, where did you buy your Sweetex from?

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 31

I'm not the OP, but I got mine at GFS. They had to order it for me because they don't keep it stocked on their shelves.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:44am
post #19 of 31

It is the best shortening in the world! I, too, just bought my first 50 lb box. I was able to find it for 50.00 bucks at a local supply store. WOOT!

I love Sugarshacks icing recipe. To me it is the most perfect icing ever. It works perfectly every time.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:00am
post #20 of 31

When you find the amount you need for your recipe/mixer, freeze it in that amount. That way if you don't use a lot of it it want go bad and it will be easy to use.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #21 of 31

I bought hi-ratio shortening but have not yet used it. Didn't know if it is an even swap with the Crisco amount. Can anyone help me out?

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:35am
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa7

I bought hi-ratio shortening but have not yet used it. Didn't know if it is an even swap with the Crisco amount. Can anyone help me out?

I have always used it the same way. 1 cup of Crisco = 1 cup of Hi-Ratio. icon_smile.gif

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:57pm
post #23 of 31

Thanks Bugaboo Bakery! I tried it this morning and all I can say is YUM!

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:55pm
post #24 of 31

I have been using hi-ratio shortening for years. A bakery about 35 miles from me will sell by the pound at a reasonable price for sweetex. I do use Country Kitchens and like both high- ratio shortening equally. I would like to buy in bulk but have no extra space to store it.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #25 of 31

GFS has it for about $90 for 50lbs. Where are you all able to buy for $50? That would be a huge deal for us!!! icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #26 of 31

I got mine at D&G Occasions in Orlando Florida, it was $69.99.

Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:30pm
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylani

GFS has it for about $90 for 50lbs. Where are you all able to buy for $50? That would be a huge deal for us!!! icon_smile.gif

I live in Vancouver, Washington and found it on sale for 50.00 at Cash & Carry. They are a restaurant supply company. You don't need a membership to shop there. I think they also sell it at Restaurant Depot, which is another supply company but you do have to have a membership. Restaurant Depot is like a fancy Costco. LOL

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:38am
post #28 of 31

Alright you bad influences.... I read this then checked to see if there was a Cash and Carry near me. There is.... Needless to say I sit here tonight staring at 50lbs of Sweetex. icon_surprised.gif I'm thinking of shipping half of it to my sister, outting the USPS 'if it fits, it ships' to the test!!

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:31pm
post #29 of 31

I have never used Sweetex, it sound wonderful. How does it compare to the CK High ratio shortening?

Vonda

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 11:45pm
post #30 of 31

I get my Sweetex at GFS for around 75.00 for 50 lbs. I call in when I need them to order and it takes a day or so to get to their store. Take in your tax information for your business and you get 5% off.
I store it in the box on one of my shelves in the cake studio (around 68 degrees). Each box lasts me about 3-4 weeks (longer during "off wedding season" and shorter during "peak wedding season"). Never had a problem storing it that way.
It is absolutely awesome shortening! Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%