What Are You Finding To Be The "newest Trends"?

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm by indydebi

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 7

I'm working on putting together a couple new dummies for an upcoming bridal show and am wondering what everyone is finding the newest trends to be.

In recent years we've made sure to add the newer styles (or classics returning) like:
An over the top topsy turvy
Very simple 3 tier cake with 1 large flower
Scrollwork cake
Blossom flower cake
Ribbon cake
Brush Embroidery cake
Bold, colorful cake

What is it for this next season that is going to be the head turner? Every single area is different...hoping to get some different prospectives...

Can't believe I'm already thinking about next years syles when wedding season isn't even over yet!!

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 7

Why not create the newest 'trend'? icon_wink.gif

Come up with something different that will really wow people because it is different, maybe unconventional and not every other person will have a cake like it.

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure of the next trend but you could include a cake from using silhouette machine that Linda McClure is teaching. Would love to know the new trends also.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

I always create a couple that are unique to me. But, I always try and include some that are cakes that may be a bit more familiar to them...ones they have seen online or in a magazine. I don't do exact copies of them...just get inspiration from them. I always want to show a range.
I always browse the wedding sites and the magazines for ideas. I take my ideas not just from the cakes but, the flowers, the venues the china patterns etc. Just thought I would ask what the different styles all my fellow bakers were noticing to be a newer trend.

This current wedding season I'm finding many are asking me to create cakes with more piping and more details. The previous 2 years, it seemed like a plain white smooth frosted cake with ribbon around each tier WAS the trend in my area. Really have found this year to be more refreshing with new ideas. Hoping next wedding season has brides even more creative and receptive to ideas. Love that!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 7

Sugar work is becoming popular. Poured or spun sugar would be a dramatic take for your show. I'm hoping to find the time to make a sugar tile trimmed cake for an upcoming one that I'm working on.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 7

Cupcake tiers have been popular....

Also I think anything weird shaped....odd shaped tiers, or different shaped tiers, or stacked offset...anything "different" is what people like.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 7

I honestly don't believe in the word "Trends", especially in the wedding world. "Trends" are established by vendors who are trying to push one particular style or product.

I can easily establish a "trend" by promoting all square cakes and convincing brides "oh yes! this IS the latest trend! Any bride who wants to have the most IN wedding is having square cakes this year!"

And I guarantee you I'd sell nothing but square cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

I particularly love working with brides who tell me "We're different and unique people!" Then she shows me a photo of a cake and says, "We want our cake to look exactly like this one!" dunce.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%