Longhorn Cake Tips?

Decorating By pj2004tx Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 8:51pm by tesso

pj2004tx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj2004tx Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 3

This is my first post at CC although I have been around here for a few months. I have made several cakes for friends and family, So far I have not run into any problems or anything I havn't been able to do. This is probably the hardest one I've had to do and just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

The only part of it I'm realy worried about is the horns. I'm planning on making the whole animal out of RK covered in MMF. The bakery that made the on in the photo said their horns were fondant covered dowel and strong wire. So my question is would I stick the dowel through the RK head, leaving a few inches sticking out on each end and then add the wire and fondant? What would be the best wy to attach the wire to the dowel? Will the RK hold that up? Any other ideas?

My other question is will I be able to cover the piece with fondant and smooth it to have no seams? I've covered many things with fondant but have never realy had to smooth seams. I was worried about like under the neck part mostly.
Thanks! CC is awesome, and I'm so glad I found it!!

2 replies
pj2004tx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj2004tx Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 3

It's not letting me attach a photo
http://intricateicings.com/nggallery/page-913/page-2/

it's the 3rd picture on this website

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 3

wrap the wire around the dowel, using pliers to cinch the wire tightly to the dowel.

Make horn around the dowel and wire...leaving enough dowel to support the weight of the horn, when horn is finished insert into horn position.

I used everclear and a finger tip to smooth out the seems on my nieces peace sign hand. you can also use water, but I found everclear to more efficient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%