Piping Pricing

Business By msauer Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm by momomom

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:35am
post #1 of 14

Okay...so I just recently loaded a picture of a cake I did (called Ditalia Wedding) and I have some questions for those of you who are in the wedding industry.

My question is in regards to the pricing of the piping. I understand that everything is on a "case by case basis", but if a bride brought this image to you, how would you account for the additional time you would put into the piping? Do you charge a flat rate add-on or do you add on to the cost per serving? How much extra would you have added to the total cost?

I found this one difficult to price because not having done this type of piping on a cake (let alone that triangular design), you really don't know how much time it will take. I tried to "guestimate".

Anyone want to offer me any thoughts? I'm looking at what changes need to happen within my business in this next year and as I continue to book 2011 brides, I want to make sure I am not short changing myself and that I am running my business efficiently.

Thanks for the input!

Michelle

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:43am
post #2 of 14

I wouldn't charge anything extra for that, because it really wouldn't take that much more time than most piped designs. If I don't have to do any advance work (gumpaste, etc) I don't add extra fees for piped designs.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 14

I don't charge extra for this type of piping either. Nice cakes too!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:13am
post #4 of 14

your cakes are amazing!!! i love your pipping skills!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:05am
post #5 of 14

That's a lot of piping and more time-consuming than a traditional "old school" wedding cake... I'd charge extra for that.

Since you've done it before, do you know/remember how long it took? I think you should charge the hourly rate that you're worth times however long you guestimated it took.

msauer Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for all the info and comments (and compliments icon_lol.gif ). I appreciate all of your help.

Anyone else want to chime in? Please do.

CWR41 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

Okay...so I just recently loaded a picture of a cake I did (called Ditalia Wedding)

Can I ask, "How much extra time did it take you to complete the piping?"

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 14

I consider this type of cake in my level 3 Buttercream. So for the amount of servings of cake then half the servings due to the bottom being foam I would charge $6.75 per serving so to my calculations 193 servings total for a 6"/10"/14"/18" bottom being foam instead of cake (foam must be returned or full price as if they had cake. Foam is more expensive than cake at times.) $1302.75 if they return the foam. If all cake then it serves 258 and the price drops to $6.25 per serving and the cost is then $1612.00

msauer Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Okay...so I just recently loaded a picture of a cake I did (called Ditalia Wedding)

First I marked where the piping would go and then did the piping...so all in all I am guessing it took about 2 hours after it was stacked to complete the cake. So, not a crazy amount of time, but longer than most of the cakes I've been doing lateley.

CWR41 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

First I marked where the piping would go and then did the piping...so all in all I am guessing it took about 2 hours after it was stacked to complete the cake. So, not a crazy amount of time, but longer than most of the cakes I've been doing lateley.

Definitely don't short-change yourself... tack on something extra for the additional 2 hours worth of your time. The labor cost for your work should not be free.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 14

I would not charge extra - it seems about the same amount of time to do a typical scrollwork cake. It is very pretty, I am partial to buttercream cakes, and I really love the henna look of it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 14

I wouldn't charge extra. To me, that's not an abnormal amount of piping.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:04am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I wouldn't charge extra. To me, that's not an abnormal amount of piping.

ditto.

momomom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momomom Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I consider this type of cake in my level 3 Buttercream.

Do you give out copies of your pricing and what each level means? I'm just starting out and interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%