Need A Cupcake Recipe To Match My Frosting

Baking By SweetDreamsBoutique Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm by SandiOh

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 30

I have a customer who has requested caramel frosting on cupcakes. She drives an hour away to go to a posh bakery to get cupcakes with caramel frosting. She has recently become a HUGE fan of my cupcakes (yay me!!! ) and has made this request. I have to top those cupcakes!! I have a caramel frosting recipe and thought about an apple cupcake or even a caramel pecan cupcake with it. What are your thoughts???? Do you have any other suggestions? Recipes? icon_smile.gif

TIA,
Jennifer

29 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 30

I don't know if the stores near you sell this product, but in the Latin American foods sections here, they sell a product called Nestle Dulce de Leche, which is a cooked-down version of sweetened, condensed milk. I just stir it to soften it, then beat it into my regular icing. I like it because the caramel flavor isn't very strong, so it doesn't mask the flavor of the cupcake.

There's a couple of ways to make the dulce de leche at home. You can boil the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk or empty it into a pyrex bowl and cook it in the microwave. You can find the instructions online. Personally, I would never try the boiling method, as I fear the can might explode. But there are quite a few members here who have done this successfully.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 30

i like the apple idea. But caramel and chocolate is my absolute favorite flavor combo, so i vote chocolate icon_smile.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 30

Love the idea of apple cupcake especially for the fall. Another flavor that is trendy right now is a chocolate cupcake, caramel frosting lightly sprinkled with sea salt - sold at high end shops here, make a few samples and see what you think.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 30

Oops! Sorry, I got so involved in yapping about my icing that I forgot to mention the cupcake.

I make a turtle cupcake by using a milk chocolate cake with chopped toasted pecans in the batter, then topping the frosting with more pecans.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 30

Y'all are making me hungry!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 30

Appletini cupcake made with apple sour pucker liquor.

KristyDi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyDi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

Appletini cupcake made with apple sour pucker liquor.

That sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe you're willing to share?

Appletinis are my favorite drinks. I have some Pucker in the fridge right now. mmmmm

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:54am
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

i like the apple idea. But caramel and chocolate is my absolute favorite flavor combo, so i vote chocolate icon_smile.gif

Ditto. My family loves this combination!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:09am
post #10 of 30

butter pecan cake

or chocolate espresso cake filled with whipped cream ...daaaaaaaaaaaaaayum that is the highlight of any mall trip or girls' day out...caramel macchiato or mocha latte...

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #11 of 30

I vote a rich chocolate cupcake with a cream cheese frosting in the center, topped off with caramel frosting and chopped pecans.

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:40am
post #12 of 30

Chocolate espresso filled with ganache....YUM!!!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:03am
post #13 of 30

Jodief, a c/cer has a delicious carmel filling recipe on this site. I made it the other week. I made chocolate layers.Torted them.Spread the carmel filling on each layer.Then i added the carmel to a batch of brown sugar swiss meringue b/c. Put that on top of the carmel filling.Then i iced it in chocolate expresso swiss meringue b/c/ . It was wonderful. You could do cup cakes the same . hth

All4Show Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:07am
post #14 of 30

KristiDi, the recipe was posted earlier on CC, but I can'f find it to give credit to the original poster, but here goes:
Make a white cake mix as directed but sub 1/3 c. vodka, 1/3 c. apple pucker and the remainder 7up for the amount of water it calls for
on the box. Top with caramel frosting. I hope you have some vodka in your cabinet too.

SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:13pm
post #15 of 30

Thanks for your help! We actually decided on using my vegan vanilla bean recipe (although the frosting was not vegan) and I made elegant chocolate decorations to top them. I personally would've gone with the chocolate cupcake, but oh well.

And the appletini cupcake sounds awesome...will definitely give it a try!

cuppacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuppacupcake Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 6:07pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

I vote a rich chocolate cupcake with a cream cheese frosting in the center, topped off with caramel frosting and chopped pecans.

oh my!! yum yum yum. think i will try this next!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:16am
post #17 of 30

I just did a chocolate cupcake with a snicker bar ganache center topped with caramel bc...caramel drizzle, chocolate drizzle and peanuts...its' on my blog if you want to see a pic.
BTW....delicious.....

All4Show Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:15am
post #18 of 30

I would really like to know how you did your snickers ganache.

SandiOh Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:19pm
post #19 of 30

3 to 1 ratio of melted snickers (over a double boiler) to up to boil cream. I also add a TBSP of butter once I've stirred in the cream. Warning....there is a down side, I kept getting peanuts caught in the tip when I went to fill the cupcakes.....but you could probably just chop your snickers finer than I did.

SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:05pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

3 to 1 ratio of melted snickers (over a double boiler) to up to boil cream. I also add a TBSP of butter once I've stirred in the cream. Warning....there is a down side, I kept getting peanuts caught in the tip when I went to fill the cupcakes.....but you could probably just chop your snickers finer than I did.

oh my gosh....that sounds AMAZING!!! wow... definitely on the to-do list this week. thanks!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:34pm
post #21 of 30

SandyOh, I have been to your site in the past by just stumbling around cupcake sites and I just recognized it here. You are so talented. Would you be interested in sharing your caramel buttercream (I don't have one), and your cupcake recipe... it looks so dark in the picture of the snickers cupcakes. I am not a chocolate fan, but I love snickers bars. Please let me know. You should put your cupcake photo here for others to see.

All4Show Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:33am
post #22 of 30

Thanks SandiOh for the recipe.

SandiOh Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:45pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

SandyOh, I have been to your site in the past by just stumbling around cupcake sites and I just recognized it here. You are so talented. Would you be interested in sharing your caramel buttercream (I don't have one), and your cupcake recipe... it looks so dark in the picture of the snickers cupcakes. I am not a chocolate fan, but I love snickers bars. Please let me know. You should put your cupcake photo here for others to see.

Thank You! that particular cupcake was made using hershey's special dark as the cocoa....The recipe is on my site if you search chocolate cupcakes. The caramel buttercream is super yummy, here's my recipe....

6 oz cream cheese
2 sticks US butter softened
5 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
up to 1/4 cup caramel sauce (I use homemade but you can certainly use store bought)
cream butter and c cheese, add sugar gradually, add salt, then add caramel to taste and then beat for a minute...

I'm a HUGE fan of caramel SMBC, but the tang of the cream cheese in this recipe goes really well with the snickers.

scp1127 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #24 of 30

SandiOh, I have been all around your site.. I really like it. I did look up recipes in your search and didn't find it. I will look again and let you know if I run into a snag. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

SandiOh Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 30

I don't do very well with the computer stuff, I need to learn how to link within my blog better...but here is the recipe for the cupcakes, scroll down to th samoa cupcakes...
http://putacupcakeinit.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-04-19T17%3A58%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=7

scp1127 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:46pm
post #26 of 30

SandyOh, I am getting the snickers tonight and will be making your cupcakes. I am sure I will be back on here singing your praises after I make them.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:20pm
post #27 of 30

I'm drooling while reading this post. Holy smokes! This all sounds so good.

suesprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesprinkles Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #28 of 30

Wow, thanks for sharing recipes, they sound absolutely delicious! icon_biggrin.gif

suesprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesprinkles Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

I don't do very well with the computer stuff, I need to learn how to link within my blog better...but here is the recipe for the cupcakes, scroll down to th samoa cupcakes...
http://putacupcakeinit.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-04-19T17%3A58%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=7

Hi SandiOh,

I know what you mean about all this computer stuff I've been trying to learn it all for a while now. icon_smile.gif

To link to old posts in your blog just click on your post title eg. Samoa Cupcakes, this will put this blog post link in your address bar, then you copy and paste that link in the forum.

http://putacupcakeinit.blogspot.com/2010/04/samoa-cupcakes.html

You can also add some simple html if you want it to look fancy pants...

<a href="http://putacupcakeinit.blogspot.com/2010/04/samoa-cupcakes.html">Samoa Cupcakes</a>

Cheers,
Sue

SandiOh Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #30 of 30

Thanks Sue!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%