How Many Of You Don't Ever Eat Cake?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 12:50am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #1 of 53

I know I've seen several people here say they don't eat cake. I'm wondering how many people NEVER eat any cake in spite of being around them much of the time. I'm in desperate straits, and MUST get serious about losing weight. I'm wondering if I can still decorate cakes, or if I need to shelve this hobby of mine, now that I've spent a bloody fortune on supplies......

52 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:07am
post #2 of 53

I was recently diagnosed as diabetic. I also need to lose weight. I don't want to stop making cakes - so I might taste a bite or two. But, I am really serious about getting the diabetes under control and losing weight. It is all a matter of mind set.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 53

I really don't like cake that much. I like to take a few bites, but thats it. It just seems to sweet to me. I need to lose weight too, but cake isn't the problem. lol.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 53

I'm not much of a sweet tooth, so I rarely eat my own cake. Salty stuff is my weakness, and occther is right--it's a mindset. You have to tell yourself only a bite or two, then stick with it. Don't tell yourself no. If you go totally without, when you do fall off the wagon, you fall hard. You also don't crave as badly if you allow yourself a "treat" now and then. It IS possible to limit yourself and be ok with it.

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 53

I train for fitness competitions and I have to set certain goals and play mindgames with myself. Once I meet the goal, I allow myself to do a cake and have a big piece. BUT I cannot even make a cake until a goal is reached because I usually cannot resist the temptation. It's easy to try and you won't feel deprived because you are rewarding an achievement. Just tell yourself OK when I lose the first 10 pounds I can have a piece. Then, set the next goal and so on. That way you can still bake and lose weight. Good luck!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:29am
post #6 of 53

Me. I love to make it, decorate it and give it away, but if I were dying and it were the only food source -- I'd perish! I hate the stuff! icon_lol.gif

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:32am
post #7 of 53

I understand your difficulty. Last few months I started getting serious about decorating...thus more treats were around the house. Started this at the same time I wanted to lose the 4 or 5 pounds I had put on during the holidays (plus slim down even more). I have managed to accomplish both (while not avoiding partaking of treats or "dieting").

I have made a concerted effort to watch my portions. Was really surprised how just watching portion sizes can result in massive calorie reductions. In addition I started working out 6 days a week, some minor changes in diet (whole wheat bread instead of white), and making sure I do not deny myself.

I eat reasonably without dieting, I have cake but more like standard wedding sizes rather than the nice wedge. I only mention this to highlight it is possible to lose weight and follow your passion--you do not have to shelve your hobby.

diane223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane223 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:35am
post #8 of 53

I don't NEVER eat cake, but I very seldom eat any of a cake that I made. For me, it's just that by the time it's cut up and ready to eat, I'm sick of looking at it! People often ask me how I stay thin (which I really don't think I am--but that's a whole other set of issues and discussions icon_smile.gif ) and I tell them that I don't eat what I make. And since I am the dessert person everywhere I go, that means no dessert for me. I have tried and true recipes that I tasted at the start and I know those will turn out. I will often taste a smidge of icing when I'm making it to make sure I have the flavor I am going for, but that's about it. I make chocolates and truffles too. And it's the same feeling.

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:51am
post #9 of 53

I need to lose weight too icon_cry.gif but I am very sick of cake. It's only the candy bars, ice cream, cookies, cream puffs..............need I go on? that I have to stop eating. My family has a saying. "I'll start my diet Monday!" Today's Wednesday so that leaves me 4 days of a feeding frenzy. tapedshut.gif If I had tape over my mouth like this icon, I might do better!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:09am
post #10 of 53

I have a malabsorption condition that keeps me from eating wheat, sugar and fruit. So I never eat cake....or icing!! I have no idea what my cakes taste like icon_lol.gif I have to rely on my family (and others) to give me feedback, but they usually don't mind!

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #11 of 53

I do a lot of "sharing" of my cakes. Usually I have a small piece to check the flavor of a new recipe and then I distribute the rest to family and friends. I do have a small problem with keeping my fingers out of the icings though. icon_lol.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:26am
post #12 of 53

I eat a tiny piece to see if it's edible and give the rest away.

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:33am
post #13 of 53

I LOOOOOVVEEE cake! and might I add have a major sweet tooth but for some reason when I make cake I rarely eat it...my hubbie's actually the one that eats all the left overs... icon_lol.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

MUST get serious about losing weight. I'm wondering if I can still decorate cakes, or if I need to shelve this hobby of mine, now that I've spent a bloody fortune on supplies......

This is exactly what I was thinking about today, while driving.
I am so happy you started this discussion.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #15 of 53

ive never met a cake, donut, cookie or piece of pie i didnt like.
whether i make it or not. (ok well some i dont care for much but i'd still eat it).
when i go out to eat - i ALWAYS check the dessert menu before i order my meal.
im sooooo bad!
but my neighbor who makes cakes as a hobby absolutely HATES cake.
i dont think hes ever tasted a cake he's made.
i guess to each their own.
i did recently have some blood work done and my numbers are warning me that i need to really tapper down on my sweats.
damn......

hfredericks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hfredericks Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:42am
post #16 of 53

I love baking and decorationg.. but I dont think I have actually eaten a slice of cake.. just not my thing.. I may taste frosting, or taste the cake for moistness.. but no, I dont eat it

KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:06am
post #17 of 53

I only started decorating cakes in April, and before that, I would go years between eating cake. I have craved chocolate candy my entire life, and that craving for candy left once I started doing cakes - totally wierd. But, now I find myself craving cake! I, too, give all my cakes away, but I always eat some of it: leftovers from torting, or if I give the cake to my mom, I eat a whole piece. I also find myself looking for excuses to make a cake so I can get my 'crumbs'. I think I'm going to stay away from making any cake for a few weeks, and try to get the craving out of my system. then, perhaps I can go back to baking without craving the cake/frosting.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #18 of 53

While I was on metformin (diabetes drug I was taking for PCOS) I was violently ill everytime I ate anything with sugar...cake went out the window for almost a year! Now that I'm pregnant, I'm a sugar fiend again, but as soon as I'm back on metformin, I'll be off it again (thankfully! I gain weight from looking at cake!).

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:52am
post #19 of 53

I just got through a pregnancy where the mere thought of cake made me sick to my stomach. Fondant especially grossed me out. I toughed it out and continued making cakes, but if they were for my own family I had to either put them out of sight or throw away what wasn't eaten right away. So maybe you could try pregnancy as a way of helping you not eat cake! Of course, it's not the best weight-loss option. icon_biggrin.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:15am
post #20 of 53

I have celiac disease and haven't eaten "normal" cakes I have made for 15 years now! Now that there are lots more Gluten free mixes out there the temptation is greater (not good news for my hips). Despite on being able to taste cake Imake for other people I have Never had complaint about them - everyone loves my cakes so I am lucky that is the case!

DavidDJr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DavidDJr Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:36am
post #21 of 53

I too have a goal to losing some weight. The thing is to not just stuff your face but a little taste or piece here and there isn't really going to make you gain a few lbs. As long as you stick to your diet and excercise you can treat yourself every now and then. Now I am just beginning with the cake stuff, but I know I can control myself. If its a hobby and you love doing it, I wouldn't give it up.

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:02am
post #22 of 53

I EAT CAKE!! AND BUTTERCREAM TOO!!

At one point when I was testing flavors/recipes I think I put on 20lbs, no lie.

There are days that I tell myself that I can not possibly do this job as my career because it is so unhealthy. Then the next day I wake up and think, there is no way that I can live without doing this!! So somewhere along the way I had decided that I will have to use restraint and exercise to combat my cake addiction. Now I am not saying I won't/don't eat cake now. I just try to eat a lot less.

My addiction is also to decorating the cake so I know that there is just NO possible way to cut that "slice" out of my life!

Maybe we all can form a weight loss / maintenance group right here through the forum. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"WILL RUN FOR CAKE"

Suzi

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:54am
post #23 of 53

I never eat cake anymore. I ate it for years and years and gained a LOT of weight. Then in June 2009 I was diagnosed with diabetes. Stopped eating cake. Stopped eating most everything except whole grains, lean meats and fresh fruits and veggies. Started moving. Lost 97 lbs. Life is better without daily cake for me.

By the way, there already is a weight loss group here on CC, called the Chunky Monkeys. Good group! Lots of support and good advice! 82 pages and going strong!
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-635076.html

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:15am
post #24 of 53

I can go about 3-5 days before I start craving cake. I only need a few small bites to satisfy my craving, but have to have it. I don't really like buttercream much, there are a few that I like...anything with cream cheese, or chocolate ganache, but PS buttercream is not my fav.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:38am
post #25 of 53

By the time I've finished decorating a cake I tend not to look at it as 'food'...by then it's turned into my plaything, LOL - so I generally don't eat much/any.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:54am
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyloo

While I was on metformin (diabetes drug I was taking for PCOS) I was violently ill everytime I ate anything with sugar...

I have PCOS too and take metformin and I know exactly what you are talking about.

Congrats on the baby !! Preganancy is hard to achieve with PCOS!!! I am very happy for you!!

Are you familiar with lipodema? It is a hormone imbalance that also sneaks in next to PCOS, it is inherited and causes weight gain, that can never be dieted or exercised off. Most women dont know they have it until it is too late to do anything about, if they ever find out they have it. It is the most misdiagnosed womens disease.

To the OP sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread. I occasionally just have to have a piece of cake, but I control the portion and stick to my low carb guns.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:04am
post #27 of 53

I eat cake at my 2 grandchildren's birthday party (and since their BD's are 2 weeks apart, my daughter does one party for both of them). Not because of weight or anything but because (1) I'm sick of being around cake (2) nobody else's cake is as good as mine! icon_rolleyes.gif

But on the weight thing ...... I joined weight watchers 88 days ago (yes, I'm keeping track!) and I've lost 20.4 lbs!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:15am
post #28 of 53

I love everything sweet. I love baking and decorating and giving it or selling it away. I do, however, taste/eat the scraps and lick the beaters but I would never make a cake for mysellf to eat, there is so much joy in seeing others enjoy it.

I do however need to loose a lot of weight *sigh*

Yeah, indydeb, WW is a great program, congrats on the loss.

GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:38am
post #29 of 53

I eat cake I make for myself, I eat scraps of cake when I make a cake for some one else, not as much as I did in the begining. I have never been a "cake" person.................now the BC is a different story, get me a bowl full and a spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:07am
post #30 of 53

Which forum is that Chunky Monkey located on?

Congrats on the weight loss, Indydeb! I now you feel better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%