Someone Tell Me I Will Get This Done!

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 3:24am by princesscris

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 10

Only a single 10" cake, but everything that could have gone wrong so far, has.

First cake fell apart coming out of the tin. Sent husband to buy more chocolate Rebake. First batch of ganache went grainy and awful and was unable to be saved. Sent husband to buy another kilo of chocolate. Remake.

Second batch of ganache went fine, except when I got up this morning to put it on the cake, it has unmelted chocolate lumps all through it. Reheat and restir.

Put cake layers together which I thought were level. Apparently not. Top of cake uneven. Of course, ganache has set between layers by now and unable to get them apart without crumbling the cake. Press down on lumpy bits and have left to settle.

Husband was called in to do night shift last night, so needs to sleep until lunchtime today, and seeing as I can't keep toddler quiet that long while I cake, we have to go out this morning.

Cake is due at 4 o'clock. Please tell me I can start at 1 o'clock, ganache, cover with fondant and decorate in 3 hours. I don't even care if you don't think it's possible, just tell me it is! icon_rolleyes.gif

9 replies
JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 10

it sure is... keep positive.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 10

Once you settle in to do it, it will all go like clockwork. I had a friends wedding cake that had to be assembled and decorated on location and theperson who helped carry in the box with the cake, crushed the side against him and the fondanted cake pushed in about an inch and a half. I had help from above, clearly, but my fondant smoother had it in shape in two swipes, though cracks in the fondant. I decorated to the cracks, and no one ever knew and the bride and was thrilled with her cake. From the time I arrived at the venue, til all was done, was 2 hours. You CAN do it.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 10

My first thought was "get a sitter for the toddler" and get that bad boy done!
I do believe I work better under pressure. Just think of the feeling you will have once it's done and looks fab!
You can sooooo do this!!! Chin up!!

mcaulir Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:15am
post #5 of 10

Thanks all - it's 12.30 and am about to start. Will see how I go. Fingers crossed!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:30am
post #6 of 10

all things are possible. just do your best under these crazy circumstances.
if it doesnt come out exactly the way you had planned. its ok.
let it go and move on.
sending caking good wishes your way! icon_biggrin.gif

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #7 of 10

Yes, it's very possible and I'm sure you'll do great.

My Aunt used to live in Dalby - my Uncle trained racehorses at a stud - lovely part of the world. I remember visiting as a child and seeing a foal being born... sorry, completely off topic.

Kind regards,
Cris.

mcaulir Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:45am
post #8 of 10

Yes, it's very pretty, especially since it's rained here this month, so everything's green at the moment!

Cake all done - thanks for the positive thoughts. Birthday girl was very happy, so that's great. I wasn't totally happy with the design, but she was, so all good.

Happy dance time!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 10

Congratulations, and good going. Knew you'd get it done the way you wanted it. But yes, sometimes it just takes that little shot of confidence from others to get you back on track.

Doing a happy dance with you right now, before starting my jumbo cupcakes. lol

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:24am
post #10 of 10

I'm pleased it all turned out - well done!
Cris.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%