Edible Homemade Dusts How To

Decorating By Ambrosiaca Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm by cmbesher

Ambrosiaca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambrosiaca Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 23

I am one of those 'sugar artists' who want every piece of my cakes to be edible. Though I have only been doing this for a few months, I have tried many alternative tools, techniques, and recipes because of lack of training and funding. I simply do this out of my house for friends and family. I am just starting to attempt making flowers and wanted that dust effect so many use but cannot put money into paying for those luster dusts, etc.

I also only work with marshmallow fondant since it tastes the best and to me if a cake looks perfect but tastes like crap then it is not as good as it could have been.

Anyways, an idea came to me to make my own dusts. When searching for this, the only option people really list here is to use chalk. This is a GREAT idea if you are not planning on these pieces to be eaten. This is not the case for me. So I thought, why not use sprinkles? Those small sugar sprinkles that come in a multitude of colors at grocery stores for a very low cost-of which I have a ton in my kitchen already! I tried it and it works for me! So I thought I'd share the idea for anyone else who would like to try this and make it work for them. I simply start out with the color I like and grind it into a powder.A morter and pestal would work best. I had to use odds and ends so I put my sprinkles in a tea bag strainer and pressed it through then ground it a bit more in the bowl that had caught it. Then I could simply brush this powder on the mm fondant with water/alcohol-whichever works best for you and your medium. That is it. Though keep in mind that since it is a sugar, the color it is in the bottle is darker than it will be when crushed. So if you want a deeper color, get a very dark sprinkle. Good luck and hope it works for you all as well!

22 replies
melindak30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melindak30 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 23

I saw on Rachael Ray show this morning of how to save $$. Take regular sugar. Put it in strainer, pantyhose, etc. then take vodka and put food color in vodka. dip sugar in colored vodka. once dried crush and have colored sugar for a fraction of the price. Haven't tested but looked like it would work. Just an odea

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:31am
post #3 of 23

yup it works great. You can take regular sugar, put it in a plastic bag, add wilton color to it. grind the bag around until all the color is blended into the sugar. Then either use a mortal and pestal or a put in a food processor and instant petal dusts.

Ambrosiaca Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 23

thanks guys, I'll have to try that for the colors I need that arn't already in sprinkle form.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 23

Awesome idea!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 23

I've tried it before but it really doesn't compare to regular petal dust. The colors aren't as intense and it doesn't stick to gumpaste the same way. After I tried for a while to come up with some way of making petal dusts, I gave up and started using chalk on inedible pieces.

Making your own colored sugar works really well though...and if you add a sprinkle of luster dust to it, then you end up with really glittery sugar.

You can also make something similiar to wilton's cake sparkles...those tubes of transparent, colored flakes. Mix gum arabic, water and food coloring, then spread very thin on waxed paper and allow to dry. Peel off, break up any large pieces, and store in a jar. I've made gold flakes that way before too...mixed gold airbrush color with gum arabic and let it dry, then broke it up. Gold flakes look great on a cupcake iced with a big swirl.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by melindak30

I saw on Rachael Ray show this morning of how to save $$. Take regular sugar. Put it in strainer, pantyhose, etc. then take vodka and put food color in vodka. dip sugar in colored vodka. once dried crush and have colored sugar for a fraction of the price. Haven't tested but looked like it would work. Just an odea

Well, I'll be!!! Sounds cool.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 23

I've made "gold leaf" by painting gold airbrush color on to parchment paper and letting it dry, then using it just like regular gold leaf.

cmbesher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmbesher Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 23

can you use something other than vodka to mix the food color in?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbesher

You can use a clear extract, like lemon extract or clear vanilla. Vodka is cheaper if you're going to be using a lot.

Ambrosiaca Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:05am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbesher

for just the gel colors, I use a small amount of water. It does take a little longer to dry than the alcohol that most people use, but it works just fine for me on my marshmallow fondant. people say it messes with the consistency, but i have never had this problem. As long as you don't drench it in water on the fondant then you are fine. plus this is SO much cheaper than using vodka! i suggest trying it to see how you like using it and decide if it works for you. if not than buying offbrand vanilla extract isa good way to go.Go to a chep grocery store and buy the clear kind and it will work fine and be cheaper than buying alcohol! Good luck.

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:57am
post #12 of 23

I don't know offhand about the price of vanilla extract but I do know that you can buy a fifth of vodka for around 5 or 6 dollars.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:11pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxietyattack

I don't know offhand about the price of vanilla extract but I do know that you can buy a fifth of vodka for around 5 or 6 dollars.

Sorry, i had to chuckle a little...just struck me funny that you knew the price of vodka and not vanilla icon_biggrin.gif
On a more serious note....the vodka does last a lonnnnng time..i use it for painting and spraying my cakes for shine....it evaporates and there is no taste..no worries for using on kids cakes

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:24pm
post #14 of 23

For me, vodka produces smoother, clearer colors. A nip of vodka here is only $1. When I use extracts or water, the colors seems to clump more and are streaky on the cake. Whatever works for you!

dulce925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce925 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:41pm
post #15 of 23

These tips sound great! I will have to try them. Thank you much.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:58pm
post #16 of 23

Funny, the vodka in my house doesn't last long at all. Neither do the cosmopolitans!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #17 of 23

Why vodka and not gin? They're both clear and tasteless (to me anyhow).

sunsational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunsational Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm
post #18 of 23

Off the wall thought, I admit the idea came to me after I read this post and I went to a craft store to get dry paint powder to mix up some paint for a craft project, when thought occured to me: but what about using kool-aid powder? maybe can mix it maybe with some powdered sugar to blend the color make it easier to apply, rather then grinding regular sugar, plus it cheap. I might experiment with this thought...

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:43am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxietyattack

Sorry, i had to chuckle a little...just struck me funny that you knew the price of vodka and not vanilla icon_biggrin.gif
On a more serious note....the vodka does last a lonnnnng time..i use it for painting and spraying my cakes for shine....it evaporates and there is no taste..no worries for using on kids cakes

Hahhahaha, I actually thought about that after the fact. It hasn't been so long since I was a college girl! ...and my liquor store had a sale today so I got me some vodka icon_biggrin.gif

Ambrosiaca Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:14am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsational

Off the wall thought, I admit the idea came to me after I read this post and I went to a craft store to get dry paint powder to mix up some paint for a craft project, when thought occured to me: but what about using kool-aid powder? maybe can mix it maybe with some powdered sugar to blend the color make it easier to apply, rather then grinding regular sugar, plus it cheap. I might experiment with this thought...

This might work so long as you can get the right color an control it. I make a lot of kool aid in my house and when i pour the powder into the itcher it is so fine it goes everywhere in the air. Those particles are so small they mix in the air and break up and cover everything.
But I believe you may be right, so long as you can keep it in a fixed spot, get the right color, and don't mind the flavor then it should work.Good idea!

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 9:50am
post #21 of 23

Thnaks so much for all of the great money saving ideas ...

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:29am
post #22 of 23

thanks for sharing all the great tips! can't wait to try a lot of these out! icon_lol.gif

ccc is the best! icon_smile.gif

~diem

cmbesher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmbesher Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks for all the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%