Problems With Lemon Version Of Wasc

Baking By llbesq Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 6:14pm by ncsmorris

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 2

I have made the lemon version of WASC cake many times with great results. Yesterday, I baked two layers for a wedding cake this weekend. They tested done but didn't rise like usual. After they cooled, I cut a square out of the center because I didn't like the way it looked or the heaviness. The inside was like a wet sponge. Any ideas on what could have caused this? Needless to say, I have to make substitute lemon layers. At this point, I plan to use a different recipe. Anyone else ever have this problem with the WASC recipe (cake mix, flour, sugar, etc.)?

1 reply
ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 2

Interesting...I made the lemon recipe for the first time this past weekend and the strangest thing happened to me, too. The cakes came out of the oven fine, but during cooling, the middles just fell in! So thin, there was almost a hole! However, I used the same exact batch of batter, but added poppy seeds (for the 2nd tier) and they came out perfectly fine LOL...Never had any such thing happen before. Since this was a cake I had free reign over, I just re-baked the larger cakes using regular WASC. I would love to hear other answers as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%