Advise On Fondant Bodice & Drapping For Shower Cake

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm by makenice99

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

For those who have make bridal shower wedding cakes with the fondant wedding dress that is placed on half the cake. Do you make the dress bodice & fondant fabric draping ahead of time and let it set or do you do it the day of decorating?

Are there any tutorials? I have search and tried youtube but couldnt find anything.

Thanks,

4 replies
makenice99 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 5

Help anyone? I am trying to make this type of cake design.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1448043

Any ideas do I make the template on the cake pan or dummy and let it dry a little? I tried a few private messages but I guess with summer vacation the designers are not around.

Help

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:50am
post #3 of 5

Hello, from your picture, you can do the bodice ahead of time, especially if you are using RI to do the corneli lace pattern to allow it to dry. For the pleating, with this cake, I would do that with decorating the cake, you don't want that too firm to place on the cake. HTH
Hamsquad

Suzisweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:17am
post #4 of 5

Hi,
I just did a 3D wedding dress cake. I would suggest that you do the bodice part first and let dry if that makes it easier for you but the part of the dress that is the fabric pleats, I would do right on the cake. I actually ended up using Duffs fondant to do my dress and it worked out well because it just does not dry out. (I dislike his fondant for making any decor that needs to dry and hold shape though; such as flowers and bows)

You can shape and move and reshape to your liking without getting cracks and elephant skin. Do know if you use his that "white" is not white, it is a natural ivory color. If you need white you may add the white color or even mix Duffs with Satin Ice white (I have not tried this but I have read that other people have and love the mix).
Good luck!
Suzi

makenice99 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you both so very much for the help. I just could figure which would be best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%