Airbrush

Decorating By PaulTracy Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm by TexasSugar

PaulTracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulTracy Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:42am
post #1 of 8

For a home/hobby just starting out to sell cake designer is a $300 airbrush a must have item or will I not get my money worth out of it? I want one but don't know what Id do with it because I've never seen what can be done with one! Any way thoughts....opinions? Do I or don't I get one?

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTracy

I want one but don't know what Id do with it because I've never seen what can be done with one!

I certainly wouldn't get one if I didn't know what I'd do with it or what it can do. Wait until you know what you can use it for or have a project that requires it, otherwise it's a waste to just have it sitting around. There are many uses, so when you figure out which techniques you'd like to try, get one then so you can practice first.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 8

I thought the same thing. But, my daughter bought mine for xmas from TCP Global. Only paid $150.00 plus shipping, all americolor gels (lg bottles) included and I love it. I use it for most of my cakes in my pics. I absolutely hate having to mix and mix the color into fondant. Never can get the dark colors to work. Especially the black and red colors and all shimmer effect. I wouldn't know what to do without it. Easy to use also.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 8

PS...I use it to airbrush the cakes, cupcakes, circles, gumpaste flowers also.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 8

When you are just getting started to me there are alot of other items that you could spend $300 on. A good mixer for one. Cake pans in different shapes and sizes would be another.

My advice is put off buying one until you do several cakes where you think to yourself, man if I had an airbrush, it would make this so much easier.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 8

I agree, a good mixer and pans would be the best way to start. I have wanted an air brush for awhile now but you don't need it to make cakes. Once you have the essentials and a few cake orders, spoil yourself and get one.

But shop around as you should be able to get it for much cheaper.

PaulTracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulTracy Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 8

I have the mixer and the pans and all the tools, gadgets, and DVDs. I LOVE the advice and you're right....when I get to the point that I feel I need one then I'll consider it. But to go out and buy it just to have one is silly. Thanks Cake Buddies you just put it in perspective for me : )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 8

It is so very easy to get wrapped up in the big cool toys there our out there, airbrush, edible image printer, cricut and the like. And while they are all good tools in their own way we all have different styles.

So sometimes it is better to take a step back and think about why we want one.

Put that money aside, and I bet you will find something you can't live with out soon enough. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%