Using Vodka In Caking Safe For Children???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 5:36pm by dchockeyguy

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #1 of 12

Hi Cakers!! icon_biggrin.gif

I have read many posts that talk about mixing dust's (Petal, Pearl Shimmer) and Vodka together and then paint on your decorations.

Is this safe for Children cakes? Does the alcohol evaporate? If not, what can I mix my dust with to paint on fondant decorations??

Thanks,

Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #2 of 12

You can test this yourself. Put a little bit of vodka on a dish. let it sit on the counter uncovered. Come back in an hour or two, and see how much is left. Yes, alcohol evaporates quickly. If you wipe something with rubbing alcohol, you notice how quickly it evaporates?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 12

some other threads to see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-691676-alcohol.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-688006-alcohol.html

----

and....

when I worked in a drug store during HS and college, the way we had to dry the glassware the pharmacist used to do compounding (yep, that old! and that old fashioned of a drug store) was to dip it in ethanol, aka Everclear for the simple reason is sucked off all the water and evaporated completely away leaving no residue to worry about (as well as leaving glassware spotless -- take that Cascade!).

so, yep vodka safe to use. Everclear even better -- tho' a bit fussier as it evaporates SO fast that you often have to stop add more to keep the paint thin.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:44am
post #4 of 12

You can also use clear extracts if you don't want to use alcohol. Extracts also evaporate quickly and leave no flavor behind (that I've ever noticed).

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:07am
post #5 of 12

Everclear user here. LOVE it.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #6 of 12

I believe most extracts are mostly alcohol. That's why some winos drink vanilla extract.

As far as the evaporation of alcohol, is that why my margarita glass is always empty after I fill it with drink??? icon_lol.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 12

when I am using vodka for painting etc, I have to constantly add more becasue it evaporates so fast....of course if you are using too much, the kids will sleep sound (just kidding lol).....

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:31am
post #8 of 12

Lemon juice works too!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:56am
post #9 of 12

I've only ever used McCormick's pure orange extract which is 80% alcohol...works great!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 9:35am
post #10 of 12

I appreciate the feedback fellow Cakers!! I am going to the "package" store today!!!!

hehe =)

Michael

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

You can also use clear extracts if you don't want to use alcohol. Extracts also evaporate quickly and leave no flavor behind (that I've ever noticed).

Extracts also have alcohol in them, which is why the evaporate off. icon_smile.gif

I'm an everclear girl myself, and yes I have used it on cakes that kids have eaten.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 12

I know a LOT of people use Lemon Extract becuase it has a high alcohol content. THey don't sell Everclear in VA, so I generally use vodka instead. However, I have found that the Class 6 store seems to carry Everclear, so I have a source when I run out of vodka (as I would never drink the vodka I use for painting!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%