Making 3D Martini Cake Glass

Decorating By KrazyKakesNJ Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 12:55am by Ursula40

KrazyKakesNJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKakesNJ Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 25

Hi everyone,

I have to make a 3 dimensional Martini glass out of cake. Does anyone have any ideas or templates for the support and stacking of the cake?

Please help!! This will be my 1st standing martini cake and I want to make sure it doesn't fall apart. icon_cry.gif

24 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 25

Hmm. That's an interesting thought. How big did you plan to make it?

KrazyKakesNJ Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 25

I was hoping not to make it taller than 3ft

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 25

3ft? ::falls on floor::

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 25

Could you make it like an upside down wedding cake, and then cut the sides straight? and then have an aneurism during transit and setup? (kidding, well... kinda)

KrazyKakesNJ Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 25

I was thinking of making it like a wedding cake but upside down like you mentioned Defy. Do you think 2ft is safer Leah?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 25

Honestly, I think you'd have to engineer something with a flange bolted onto plywood, pipe for the "glass" stem, bottom cone of styro for support of the glass part and then a little bit of cake on the top.

Fortunately for me I don't make that style of cake, or I'd be falling on the floor all the time.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 25

3 ft? That's a pretty big darn cake. It's going to require a lot of support, but the design isn't all that easy, as Leah pointed out.

KrazyKakesNJ Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 25

ok, my wheels have been churning....please let me know what you think of this:

base board is masonite
for the support bar that makes the stem I am thinking pipe to be screwed into the boards for the top and the bottom

The martini base I was going to make out of cake with the pipe coming out of the center and the top part...I was thinking of making the top glass part out of cake, with the masonite boards and have it screwed into the piping..

I was also thinking this would lessen the height factor and make it more compact for delivery

this is just a thought and definitely a challenge for me

leslieannec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslieannec Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #10 of 25

how will you get the "glass" part to not fall to pieces? I would think there wouldn't be enough support for a cake like that, regardless of the pieces below the stem, to stand. Please keep us updated on how it works out! If you're successful, I would love to try it!

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 25

Can't wait to see how you pull this one off. Do like Duff does and make the top out of rice krispy treats, and make a cake base or a sheet cake that the martini sits on for the servings. Still use your idea with the post screwed in, etc.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 25

I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but here's an option you could go with if you vary what your design is ... a margarita glass I made to go with my cake out of poured sugar:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1470097

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:19pm
post #13 of 25

I still don't understand how the top part, essentially an upside down cone, is going to be supported.

Would seem to me, the point of the cone would need to be made of a solid, sturdy material that could be secured to the center pipe. Then, layers of cake could be added to the top of that.

leslieannec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslieannec Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm
post #14 of 25

The only think I could think of is if you used a small cone at the bottom, then layered a support system throughout, with increasing-sized boards every 2-3 inches until you reach the diameter of the top, with a large dowel anchored through the whole thing. It would be a lot of wood/plastic/masonite inside the cake though.

KrazyKakesNJ Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 25

Let me know what you think of my attempt on a standing Martini/Margarita Glass.. Its all edible

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1801266

AnnGeeV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnGeeV Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 5:20pm
post #16 of 25

How did you make this?? It looks great. WOW!!!! I have a request for a Martini Glass, however, I'm very new at making cakes so I know this will be a challenge. However, if you tell me how you did this, I will love to try it.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:41am
post #17 of 25

Wow is all I can say, I hope you took loads of in progress pics, because you will be contacted, I swear!!!

Oh and in case you are wondering, why noone is commenting on the cake in the galleries, you have the comment section turned off. I would have loved to comment, glad I found this thread, this cake is BEYOND AWESOME!!!!

I also hope, that you are willing to post a tutorial (not that I will ever get the chance to make this, cannot get any supplies here in Ch*ina), but just in case we ever move to a place with a proper hardware store, I would really love to have a tutorial

KrazyKakesNJ Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:06am
post #18 of 25

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take pics while I was doing the cake but I sure will post a Tutorial for those who want it!! Thank you for the heads up on the comment section, just turned it back on.

Ursula40 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:10am
post #19 of 25

going there now icon_smile.gif))))

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:37am
post #20 of 25

Oh I would love to know how you did that martini cake. Amazing. My sister in law wants one by the end of the month for her 21st bday. Agghhh

AnnGeeV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnGeeV Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm
post #21 of 25

Have you posted the tutorial yet? If so, where can I find it? This would be a great project for me......

KrazyKakesNJ Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:44pm
post #22 of 25

Hi Everyone, this is as close to a tutorial as I can get since I did not take pics of the cake in process

Let me know what you think

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1809766.html

Ursula40 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:35am
post #23 of 25

Great, now to see, where I can get the bits and parts in Ch*ina

What size cakes did you bake? Did you cover the Pipes with fondant as well, how did you adhere that?

KrazyKakesNJ Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:45am
post #24 of 25

I covered everything in fondant.. I cleaned the pipe as best as possible and covered it completely except for a fee groves at each end to make sure I could screw it in....but there was no piping or flange touching the cakes cause they where covered in fondant. I baked for the bottom a 9" and an 8" for the top I baked 10"8"and a 6". I put a small amount of glucose thru the pipe to make sure the fondant sticks and then I laid it flat on a board to dry enough

Ursula40 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:55am
post #25 of 25

Thx so much icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%