Officially On A Cake-Burn Out :(

Decorating By BethLS Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 6:17pm by cakesrock

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 11

So, I've read about it on here, but never thought it'd happen to me.

But, I'm doing this cake right now that is driving. me. insane to say the absolute least. I mean, seriously...look at what she sent me TODAY (and the cake is for tomorrow) And just this past week had a GREAT caking week. What a way to let one cake just ruin it for you...

She wants the cake to be shaped like Haiti....heres what she sent me yesterday...

Customer: August 30 at 3:49pm
Here's an outline for the shape of Haiti:http://www.aneki.com/maps_blank/Haiti_blank_outline_map.gif
For the cities, I would do Port-au-Prince (bottom), Port-de-Paix (top), St. Michel de l'Attalaye (middle), and Parc National Macaya (bottom left). I would start with Port-au-Prince and see how the other cities would work around it. If you think those locations are awkward or won't fit, feel free to pic any cities that make it look best, so long as P-a-P is included!!!

For P-a-P, because it's the capital, you can use this image (both a star and a political symbol): http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/red-star-hammer-sickle.jpg

Piano octave: http://vornan19.com/music_theory_2.html (you can use a picture of actual piano keys to make them look for realistic and less flat!)

Jeep: http://image.trucktrend.com/f/10964067/163_0809_07z+2009_jeep_grand_cherokee+green_passenger_side_view.jpg

Hope symbol: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/878962334_17d35b6f4e_o.jpg

That should be enough! Again, chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. Use any color lettering you want and use your own discretion for the images, of course! Whatever you think looks best I'll agree with.

End of letter.

oh Yeah, and this is AFTER she wanted a book cake, then changed her mind to wanting the FLAG of Haiti. UGH! And then she just put this message on my facebook!:

"My cake better be pretty big--as close to actual size as possible!! ahha, but everyone is gonna want some, I know."

Really? Oh yeah, and I KNOW I'm an idiot, because I quoted her 25 dollars (but at first it was a very, very simple cake!) and now expects me to do this cake for the same price. I tell yah, Im ONLY doing it because this gal was refered to me by a relitive that has gotten me tons of business! Somebody shoot me now...

10 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 11

I'm sorry icon_sad.gif Why didn't you tell her as her design got more elaborate and the size grew that the price would become more elaborate and grow as well? It sounds like you're losing money on this deal. If this last email is a change from the flag to the new design of the island - stop it now! Tell her flag at the greatly reduced cost you already quoted her or she needs to add $$$$ to get the BIG island cake she now wants.

Just because she wants it doesn't mean she gets it - but it's up to you to make her quit walking all over you!!!

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11

"Friends" are the biggest pain! I have had a similar problem lately with flip-floppers but I put an end to it a week before the cake was due. I would just email her back and say with the design and sizing changes the price has gone up! It's for tomorrow and you haven't even started it yet? OMG!! Good luck to you!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

I'm sorry icon_sad.gif Why didn't you tell her as her design got more elaborate and the size grew that the price would become more elaborate and grow as well? It sounds like you're losing money on this deal. If this last email is a change from the flag to the new design of the island - stop it now! Tell her flag at the greatly reduced cost you already quoted her or she needs to add $$$$ to get the BIG island cake she now wants.

Just because she wants it doesn't mean she gets it - but it's up to you to make her quit walking all over you!!!

Well said!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 11

It can be hard, I know, especially when it's a friend. I feel sorry for you!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 11

Tell her that you don't have the time to accommodate her last minute requests, and especially not for that price. Don't let her abuse your friendship and good nature.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

Somebody shoot me now...

click.. loading... click.. spinning... cock.. BANG..

that was me shooting the woman ordering the cake, not you. icon_lol.gif

she taking so much for granite and you back should be hurting from her walking all over it !! Cake-up and put a stop to it.

BethLS Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 11

LOL thanks Tesso! You made me laugh!

So I ended up telling her I'd do my best in accomidating her...keep in mind this girl is NOT my friend...I've never, ever met her! Its HER friend whom Im friends with...(and not so much friends, but shes dating my brother in law)

So shes not getting her "big cake". I simply made a cute 9x13x2, NOT torted, in her flavor of course, (laughing) iced it in Indy's frosting, and covered it in ocean blue fondant. I made a template for the country and cut that out of fondant. I cut a board out of luan (sp) a few inches bigger than the cake itself, so I could put "piano keys" on the board. (I figured if I didnt do it this way, where else would it go? lol) I did those out of fondant as well.

I made a little car out of fondant, you'd never know it was a jeep, lol, but it was a 5 minute car, I wasnt about spending much time on it!

I am waiting for my kids to get up from naps and I need to run to go get more red dye...I completely forgot that between a firetruck groomsman cake, and a wedding cake this past weekend I had used all my red...

So thats where I am at right now. I need to write on it (cuz I dont feel like getting out my block letter colors! icon_mad.gif ) put the star emblem on it for the capital...and I think thats about it...

but oh yeah, she's getting one HELL of a deal on this cake for sure! From here on out if someone inquires about a cake, I am first and foremost sending them my price-list FIRST!

BethLS Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 11

So here is the devil cake in the original post I made...

Im just DONE with this woman though..."No Cake for You" ANYMORE. Or my BIL's girlfriend for that matter! This lady just wasnt reasonable...

She even Facebook'd me earlier for PICTURES of the cake. Really?

Oh, and, "Can I leave payment with BIL's girlfriend later after I get out of work? Or you can pick it up from my work" Ugh. A huge never again and LESSON LEARNED.

But here is the cake, in all of its Ugly, Ugly glory! icon_redface.gif

BethLS Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 11

Bah, didnt attach...so look in my photos for it... icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 11

The cake is fantastic! Way to pull it off, especially considering all that...I hope she paid more than $25 !
I got out of the friends and family business because I ended up making about $.08 per hour with my time and what I charged. Oh and there was some kind of miscommunication with a co-worker and I didn't get paid for the last cake I did. Still not clear on the miscommunication -she asked me to make a cake, said she'd pay me and never did! Awkward... I'm so done with that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%