Do You Offer Dessert Cakes?

Business By karenm0712 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm by DefyGravity

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 17

I am thinking about offering a line of dessert cakes to my customers but wanted to know a couple of things:

1. If you offer dessert cakes, what flavors do you offer?
2. Do you torte w/3 layers of fillings or just 1 filling?
3. What do you price them out at?

I need a way to bring get more clients and bring in a bit more money....

Thanks!
Karen

16 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 17

What are "dessert cakes"?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 17

Aren't all cakes for dessert?

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 17

Do you mean cakes that aren't decorated or custom cakes, so for example a chocolate cake with chocolate icing, but no "Happy Birthday" or piping, etc.?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 17

I think she is referring to the standard type cake that the grocery stores offer (but better..lol) like Black Forest,German Chocolate,Carrot cake etc..I offer 4 types of dessert cakes...BF,Carrot,GC and Oreo.Do I get any orders for them?...not really...I charge way more than the grocery stores and rightfully so...but I haven't had any orders...Boo hoo....

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 17

leah_s - yes, yes, LOL. I guess I should elaborate - by dessert cakes I mean the standard 8 or 9 inch round with no decoration - like what you could buy at your local grocery store or bakery as an after dinner dessert.

Kiddiekakes you got it!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 17

YES! I have a Dessert Cakes page on my site.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 17

We offer 8" double layer round cakes for $39 (regular or vegan), $44 (gluten-free), or $49 (vegan, GF, and soy-free). Layers are 2" high and filled with buttercream, premium fillings like ganache or fruit cost $5 extra.

We have several different flavors...besides chocolate and carrot, most of the flavors consist of vanilla batter with an extract added.

About 90% of our business consists of these types of cakes (single tier round or sheet cakes), but most include writing and flowers/balloons or a custom design. Then again, most of our customers cannot serve grocery store cakes due to cross-contamination of allergens.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Except for when they're breakfast (or am I the only one who has done that?) icon_razz.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:22am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Except for when they're breakfast (or am I the only one who has done that?) icon_razz.gif

Ummm....no icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:47am
post #11 of 17

Yep, me too, Gravity!!

I supply dessert cakes to customers, too. They can order anything. I supply my hubby's Masonic lodge with all their cakes for degrees and occasions. Those are just regular desert cakes but I do try to put something special on them for them.

I also have a customer who regularly buys carrot cakes for his girlfriend so i always throw something on it be it a flower or butterflies. I charge 40 to 50 dollars for them though.

I also make other desserts, too...like whoopie pies, cupcakes, cookies, handmade candy, etc. Keeps things interesting for me!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #12 of 17

I don't usually...although I offer 8" tasting cakes for $25 (homestyle iced) for those who are curious about my work before ordering something larger (and if the order is too small for a real "tasting")....and at Thanksgiving and Christmas I've been trying to promote some dessert cakes but so far have not sold too many.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:33am
post #13 of 17

Yes, I have just added dessert cakes to my menu. Choice of 8" or 10". I have done a couple of different ones in the past just by word of mouth. But they seem to be becoming more popular and they are quick and easy to turn out.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:43am
post #14 of 17

This is my favorite place to go for desserts. There are pictures here. Maybe you can get some ideas.
http://www.phillipseuropean.com/Desserts.htm

They also sell whole,10" cakes for about $55.

I cannot decide which is my favorite, the Viennese Meringue torte, the Lemon torte, or the Chocolate Raspberry torte. Mmmmm. I think I'll have to stop there on Thursday to take adcantage of their dessert happy hour and get soem treats for my husband's birthday. yum!

Someday I'd like to find some good recipes so I can make these myself.

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm
post #15 of 17

I do and that is what I sell the most i have orders pretty much every week for those.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, wherever it fits into my schedule. Along with leftover pizza or chinese food.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm
post #17 of 17

Good, as long as it isn't just me! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%