How To Copy Fondant Texture Sheets

Baking By Chocolisa Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm by DianeLM

Chocolisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chocolisa Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! First I'd like to say I've been lurking and learning for some time now. I love cakecentral! So, I purchased the fondant sports texture sheets. I made mm fondant for the first time and plan on making volleyball cookies for my daughter's team.

I would like to make duplicates of the texture sheet; I don't like having just one. What would be an easy way to make my own? I saw a tutorial with amazing mold putty and it seemed like it could do it, but I'm not sure if it hardens.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

5 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 6

I seem to remember reading on here somewhere that you can use a sheet of vinyl and pipe the pattern onto the vinyl using thick royal icing. Allow it to dry, and you can use that to press your rolled fondant onto.

The only problem I can see with that is the sheet probably wouldn't last long, and you wouldn't be able to wrap the sheet around a curve because the icing would break.

I'd like to see others' replies...especially if there is a more permanent way to create it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 6

You mean you want more than one sports texture sheet? Why? How many can you use at once?

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 6

Buy another one.

Chocolisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chocolisa Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 6

DianeLM :I have helpers that could also press the image into fondant.

cakeville82 :I bought a kit and don't know if I can get a single one.

As letsgetcaking mentioned I would like my own permanent way of recreating it. I did try to make a mold with mold putty; it is permanent but too flexible. I think I need a hard ceramic type mold like an ceramic ornament but not sure how to create it.
I have a vacuum forming machine (small) so I can make another plastic one after I have a hard mold.
This is the beginning of me wanting to make my own molds for chocolate and other items.

Will polymer clay work?

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 6

Chocolisa, could you mount the flexible putty mat onto a more rigid piece of plastic? Perhaps embroidery canvas or even one of those flexible cutting boards?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%