Cake Keeps Getting Stuck In Pan! Help

Baking By Shauntai Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 2:17am by srkmilklady

Shauntai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shauntai Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 17

I have a cake due tomorrow and I've had all kinds of problems with this cake, but now I'm on the third try and the cake just won't stop getting stuck in the pan.

I greese the pan well and flour it. First the heat was too high and it burned on top and was uncooked at the bottom. The second time the cake came out almost perfect, I finally got the temp. right (I think) and the cake came out, but broke around the sides.

The third time it wouldn't come out at all an ended up falling apart while I was trying to get it out. The pan is an unusual size it's a 9x11. I don't know what's going on, but I got one more shot at it tomorrow and I am praying to God that someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks in advance

16 replies
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 17

Line it with parchment paper or wax paper before putting the batter in.

I prepare my pans with baking spray and then line with parchment. I never have a cake stick.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 17

I have never had that trouble since I started using the cake release recipe I learned on cc mix- 1/3 oil, 1/3 flour, 1/3 shortening. I coat the pan very well. I also make sure I leave it in the pan the reccommended time (usually 10 min) before I remove it. Sometimes too soon, or waiting too long can cause it to stick

Shauntai Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #4 of 17

Thank you so much! I'm going to try both of these methods.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 17

I also do a similar method to Echooo3, but I use butter on the bottom, then line with parchment, then butter the parchment. I usually put butter on teh sides of the pan as well, and I've never had a cake stick either.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 17

I also line my pans. Its a little extra prep work, but worth it. None of my cakes ever stick!

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 17

Cake release has been a great addition to the cake baking process. I would also use wax paper to line the bottom just as a double safeguard.
Good luck.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 17

I use the home made mix (equal parts oil, flour, crisco) and line the bottom with parchment.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 17

I found that if I run a knife around the edges before removing from pan it helps with the release.

vickylara2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickylara2004 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 17

I always use Baker's Joy baking spray or Pam for baking. They work flawlessly for me. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

I use the home made mix (equal parts oil, flour, crisco) and line the bottom with parchment.

I do the same, never had a cake stick with it. (or brownies, or cookies, or rice krispy treats) makes getting ANYThing out of the pan easier since the parchment comes out with the food no worries on anything sticking to the bottom.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 17

How are you trying to remove the cake from the pan? I usually cool 10 minutes, then put paper towels on top of the cake and place my cooling rack on top of the pan. Flip both pan and cooling rack over together. Allow to sit for a few seconds and carefully remove the pan. Sometimes you have to jiggle it a little. I use cake release and flip all my cakes this way, no problems (knocking on wood).

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 17

i had a problem of my cakes not releasing from the pans without tearing. Tried flour and shortening. pan spray, they did not work. so i got a book by sylvia weinstock and in her book it said to melt butter, take a brush and brush the butter inside the pan. cut parchment to fit the bottom and i put parchment on the sides, then with a pastry brush butter the parchment. pour the batter in and bake. aint had a problem since!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickylara2004

I always use Baker's Joy baking spray or Pam for baking. They work flawlessly for me. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

What vickylara said...Also line the bottom of the pan with parchment or wax paper. You will never have a cake stick again! Just make sure you spray the sides of the pan generously before placing the parchment in the pan.

Shauntai Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 17

Ok so i did the equal part cake release method with the addition of parchment paper lining the bottom of the pan. The cake came out better, but still got stuck on one side, but it was easily fixed. I think that I may need to let the cake sit in the pan longer, like some have suggested. I'm going to try it again for the next cake that I have due friday. I think that I may also try this butter idea as well. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:55am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauntai

I think that I may need to let the cake sit in the pan longer, like some have suggested.

Usually 10 minutes in the pan is long enough because if you allow the cake to cool too much/completely than the pan grease will solidify and act like glue....

HTH

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 2:17am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauntai

I think that I may need to let the cake sit in the pan longer, like some have suggested.

Usually 10 minutes in the pan is long enough because if you allow the cake to cool too much/completely than the pan grease will solidify and act like glue....

HTH

Yes...been there, done that! I forgot a cake in the pan for 30 minutes! Wasn't good... icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%