Painting Roses Red

Decorating By bakemeacake78 Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm by JodieF

bakemeacake78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacake78 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 11

I am wanting to paint white gumpaste roses red (for Alice in Wonderland theme). I want them to look like they have been partially painted. I read somewhere that you can mix red food coloring with lemon extract to get a paint that will dry quickly when painted on. I used Americolor red and mixed with the extract, but I couldn't get the two to mix properly without it looking grainy. Am I way off track here? Any other suggestions as to how I should go about this getting this effect? Thanks in advance.

10 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:00am
post #2 of 11

I've never mixed liquid food coloring with lemon extract, but I have mixed petal dust and luster dust with it and it worked well.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:08am
post #3 of 11

I mix gel colour with vodka and use that.. works great..

GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 11

I have mixed with vodka and I have done just water and gel color on my paint brush. Mostly just the color, just a little water, dip my brush in the water then in the color.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 11

I personally sometimes just use airbrush colours. I don't have to mix them with anything, just use as is.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #6 of 11

Is it grainy when you paint it on the gumpaste, or grainy looking in the dish? If it's grainy on the gumpaste, maybe it's because the gumpaste is grainy/bumpy.

bakemeacake78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacake78 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Rose_N_Crantz, the mixture looks grainy in the dish. I think I may have used too much extract. It sounds like I might need to use more color and less extract.

jmr531, I had wondered about the luster dust/petal dust. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had read about using vodka, but wasn't sure if I should do that for a child's cake.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 11

Some colors will break down with lemon extract an get grainy. I use vodka instead.
Edna icon_smile.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakemeacake78

wasn't sure if I should do that for a child's cake.

My understanding is that the vodka will evaporate and there won't be any alcohol left. The reason for using the vodka is that it's a liquid that will evaporate quickly, which will make the dust/vodka "paint" dry quickly. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm
post #10 of 11

The vodka does evaporate. As soon as the "paint" is dry, the vodka is all gone from the cake. Most extracts have alcohol too, vodka is just cheaper if you're going to be doing a lot of painting.

If you're using Super Red, make it a little lighter than you want the end result. I learned the hard way that it dries to look almost black...an interesting effect but not what I needed.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 11

Using vodka shouldn't be an issue anyway, since the gumpaste roses won't be eaten.
I use rose red petal dust and vodka.....
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1739267

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%