Halloween Questions....

Baking By janelill Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 12:49am by GeminiRJ

janelill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelill Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hi!
My name is Jane, i'm from Norway, and i've just signed up to this forum. I have gotten to know a group of American women on another craft forum, and this year i want to send them a cookie each for halloween. Halloween is not very big here in Norway, but i do know that pumpkin is a symbol of the holiday.
I was wondering if anyone of you could help me find a fall like recipe for a cookie that will ship well, between 1 and 2 weeks, and also whether it should be decorated or not, and if so, decorated with what....
The cookies i bake here in Norway are plain, undecorated, so i really don't know what to decorate them with...RI, Fondant......
As you can see i need alot of help, so any help at all would be highly appreciated!

4 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 5

I would decorate with royal icing and just bag them very tightly so they don't dry out. As for a fall-type recipe for a cookie, you could flavor with extracts like cinammon or do a nice chocolate sugar cookie. Chocolate is great for every season!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

The no-fail sugar cookie recipe on here is great. Decorated in RI and package well, they should be fine.
You can add just about any kind of flavor, like cinnamon or spice....and like tootie said, chocolate is always a hit.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 5

Welcome to Cake Central! If you wanted, you could make pumpkins, but other Autumnal symbols are also nice. Leaves are very fun to make especially when you marble fondant in autumn colors and lay it on the cookie while still warm --it makes a wonderful layer and becomes very strong. Wrap tightly in cellophane for shipment. Bubble wrap will be required as well for extra protection.

There are many extraordinary Autumn/Halloween cookies in the Galleries. One of the most popular cookie recipes is No Fail Sugar Cookies. I don't think one has to specifically make it spiced, etc. to emulate the season. I, personally, am one who does not like a spice cookie.

Here is a link to the recipe above:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2055/no-fail-sugar-cookies

and here is a link to some leaves I made a few years ago using no fail recipe and marbled fondant. I just cut the fondant out using the same cutter and laid it on the cookie while it was still warm.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1141673

Here is a chocolate sugar cookie recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4863/chocolate-sugar-cookies

These are in American measurements, so I hope you can still use the recipe.

Happy Baking!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 5

Hi, Jane! Welcome to CakeCentral and the cookie forum. I think wanting to make and send Halloween cookies to your American friends is a wonderful idea! You're right about pumpkins being a popular Halloween shape, and you can make them cute or scary, simple or elaborate. (Nothing is simpler than covering the cookie in icing and coating with sanding sugar. And it looks pretty!) I participated in a cookie swap a while back, and the cookies decorated with RI shipped really well. Take a look thru the photo gallery and find a design you feel confident in trying. Whatever you come up with, your friends will be thrilled!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%