After Crumb Coating Do I Put The Cake In The Fridge/freezer?

Decorating By EmilyHogan Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 6:33pm by EmilyHogan

EmilyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyHogan Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 18

I've been told not to put a cake in the fridge when using buttercream, but on all the cake shows and even on other comments I've read they've said to put it in the fridge. How long can you put a buttercream iced cake in the fridge? I'm having a hard time letting my cakes crust to get them smooth. do i let it sit over night in the open or do I put it in my fridge but for how long?

17 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 18

There is no reason to put any cake in the fridge unless there are components with a high risk for spoilage (IMBC, SMBC, curds, custards, anything with cream cheese, yadayada)
For smoothing purposes, you will have to experiment with your recipes and equipment to find out the magic number for your kitchen.
I put my CCed cake in the freezer for 10 min and then go on with the paper toweling of the surface.

That being said, I think you got the advice backwards. Fondant doesn't do well in the fridge.
BC, as long as it has been covered and is not sitting next to last nite's lasagna, does very well for as long as the ingredients stay fresh.

EmilyHogan Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 18

hmm ok thanks!! I'll remember that! I have been trying FOREVER to get my smoothing skills down but it's not quite the way I want it so I'll try the fridge/paper towel idea, thank you soo much!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 18

Sharon Zambito has an excellent BC dvd tutorial ( google Sugar Shack) at a reasonable price. Lots of great info and tips.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Sharon Zambito has an excellent BC dvd tutorial ( google Sugar Shack) at a reasonable price. Lots of great info and tips.

Her videos are great! I just ordered the last 2 videos that I did not have from her site. They have a promotion that is over tonight if i'm not mistaken. Spend $50.00 before shipping and get a free diamond cutting set. Sweet deal! icon_biggrin.gif

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 18

i placed a crumb coated cake in the refrigerator because it had vanilla filling when I took it out the next day to cover it in bc it was sweating like crazy didn't know I could remove the sweating with paper towel. what a dissaster it became.

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 18

I'm still new at cake decorating and I'm always spending waaaaay to long on my smoothing. I ran across this recipe yesterday and tried it last night. Oh man, what a difference! I will never try to smooth icing without Viva paper towels again! Viva is my new decorating tool! This is a really good crusting recipe too. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2075/crusting-buttercream-icing-viva-method

asaye Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 18

I also did put mine in the fridge for about 15 minutes.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 18

I am a new cake decorator and was putting my cakes in the fridge to crust because they werent crusting good enough on their own. Then when I took them out they were too stiff to for the paper towel method to work. On this last Saturday I made a cake and had no room in the fridge so I let it crust on its own (used Edna's recipe for BC) and the paper towel method worked awesome!!!!! I was so happy with it. I viva'd the cake and then used an lattice impression mat then piped the lattice on and it worked great and was really smooth!!! Needless to say I wont be putting them in the fridge anymore. They crusted on the counter in about 20 min.

asaye Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 18

holliellen: I'm new here and don't know who Edna or where her recipe is. Can you provide a link for us, please? I'd love to give it a try.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 18

I don't ever refrigerate a cake. I have never had a problem with crusting, or with condensation. I am always sure to never use fillings that require refrigeration though.

AND I use sugarshack's recipe...flawless.

Here is one I did this past weekend in the 95 degree heat - holds up like a DREAM!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=31428537&fbid=1461623904118&id=1339078711

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 18

I put a crumbcoat on my cakes and place them in the fridge for about 15 minutes. This really helps to make the initial CC hard and makes icing the cake a breeze and so not messy. icon_smile.gif

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 18

Asaye...do a Youtube search for ednatone1 ( i'm pretty sure), i'm at work and silly policies don't allow access of Youtube lol. But she has some great tutorials. BTW I use IndyDeb's BC here on CC, crusts great and I dont refrigrate unless perishable filling is used.

asaye Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks, I look her up on youtube!

Melissa_B_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa_B_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 18

what kind of buttercream icing do you use? (butter or shortening based?)
I use a butter/powdered sugar icing, and I usually stick my cakes in the freezer for about 15-20 mins, works just fine, but I guess it also depends on the the type of unit you have? Since I use a butter/powdered sugar mixture, the butter hardens wonderfully..then after freezing I then ice the cake

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #16 of 18

Edna also has all of her info on designmeacake.com! I use butter and shortening mixture. I find in any kind of heat butter will melt and can slide down your cake and shortening holds up ALOT better. Just think of how stiff room temp butter is (its not) and how stiff room temp shortening is (pretty stiff). I do like the flavor of butter tho so I do use half and half with hi ratio shortening!

asaye Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 18

I use a combination of butter and shortening. I'm in Northwest Fl and it's hot and humid. I found Edna. She's great! Thanks.

EmilyHogan Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:33pm
post #18 of 18

I use the Wilton recipe but w/ less powdered sugar, people say it's too sweet lol i've never tried the butter recipe tho

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%