Just Out Of Curiousity

Decorating By xkfayex Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm by TrixieTreats

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #1 of 11

i'm just a hobby baker, but for some reason i've found myself doing 5 and 6 orders a week (cookies, cake pops, cupcakes, cakes.. you name it its in my weekly schedule).. i'm the only one working on my cakes so i have to schedule sometimes 3 cakes (to decorate) in one day because of when they need the cake

i was just wondering how many cakes on average any of you other home bakers do with no additional help in one week. or how many orders you accept for one week just to make sure you are not wearing yourself out!!

10 replies
Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 11

Do you do something else for a living? You're really good, you should just do this for a living and get licensed. Seems like you could make a pretty steady living off of it...

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 11

have you heard of baking early in the week and then freezing them? that could save some time at the end of the week;

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 11

Wow...I sense some hostility. I believe in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt and I am sure that you consider yourself a hobby baker, instead of a "professional" but your work is beautiful and you do such a great job! On this site a hobby baker is someone who does not charge for cakes or does it only for family and friends. I'm sure it was just a communication error. But to answer your question, I'm just starting out and have maybe 1 or 2 orders/week depending on the week. I also sell at the local farmer's market so I don't know if that's considered an order? But it really just depends on your capacity and if you're able to deliver on your promise of a wonderful cake or dessert. So whatever it is that you can handle is your personal capacity and you should just build off of that. Good luck and best wishes to you!

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 11

I just started my business, so it's very small right now. But, I still have a full-time job, so I will only commit to 2 cakes per week. MAYBE 3 if one is really small and simple.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 11

As a hobby baker, I maybe do 1-3 cakes per month, because as a hobby, I can't afford anymore, nor work anymore into my schedule with my full time job. I definitely wouldn't have any extra funds to pay someone to help me make cakes that I give away.

Yane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yane Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 11

OMG why peple have to attack like that? Let me tell you that I love your work and by the way I loved your fb page !!!!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

As a hobby baker, I maybe do 1-3 cakes per month, because as a hobby, I can't afford anymore, nor work anymore into my schedule with my full time job. I definitely wouldn't have any extra funds to pay someone to help me make cakes that I give away.

Ditto----and in my case I have a very stressfull full time job so I can only handle 1-2 cakes a month and maybe some cookies. And very often I turn down requests since suddenly I have a lot of 'best friends' that would LOVE a free cake/cookies icon_rolleyes.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 11

I'm sorry, I just don't know what is going on with cake central anymore. Your fb page is amazing.

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 11

thank you all so much..

sparklecat: i do work at a daycare during the day. and have tried getting a job at a local bakery, but they said i didnt have the experience (too each their own i guess) but i have thought seriously about taking a loan out and starting my own place, which is why i started doing the cakes through my facebook page, just to get a taste of how things should be run. only being 21 it is totally intimidating trying to figure all of this out.

bakencake: i have never actually froze a cake. i may try doing that. i have tuesdays off from the daycare so i try to do all of my baking those days and decorate for the rest of the week.

i just wanted to know if home (sorry for using hobby) bakers had a limit as to what they are willing to do. i'm still going to make 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 if i can, just wanted to know from everyone else.

but thank you all again!!

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 11

I agree. I find it a bit out of control with the legal and ethical opinions. Anyway...she may consider herself a hobby baker because it is still secondary income, or extra income. Who is to say she is not legal...she didn't address that, nor is it pertinent to the topic of her thread. The purpose of this forum, and of this site in its entirety is for free advice, ideas and a sense of community...it is an open forum for people interested in caking, not for those who pay for legal or ethical advice...And though sometimes these topics are addressed...this thread was not.
Anyway, in addressing the thread's actual topic, I think workload threshold is a personal decision and it can vary greatly depending on each project. I think it is something you have to decide on a per case basis. Also, working ahead helps take a lot of the last minute stress off, so planning ahead and making anything you can ahead of time will allow you to take on more projects in a more efficient, enjoyable manner. I have found that my limit is about 3 cakes per week. Anything more is more for me is too much stress than I would like to maintain on top of my full time job.
Just my two cents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%