Help!!! Square Pan Dilema

Decorating By Godiva Updated 2 Sep 2005 , 5:22am by SquirrellyCakes

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 3:44am
post #1 of 9

Hi there,

Some of you may remember I was looking into buying my first set of square pans for a cake I have for this Saturday...Well I bought them, 3" high....

But now I have a huge problem!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif The 6 & 8 baked perfectly well...However, the 10 & 12 are not! icon_cry.gif The fats are concentrating in the center, and I've already baked a substitue to find out that I had the same problem again! I don't know what to do and the cake is due by 12:30 pm Saturday....

I am literally loosing my hair here and breaking out....

Has this happened to anyone of you? If so, how did you handle it or solve the problem... This is my first time baking with 3"and square too...Never had the problem before

Thanks!

8 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 3:52am
post #2 of 9

Are you using a heating core or upside down flower nail???? I have baked in as large as 14 inch square and havent had this happen. sorry i cant be more help.

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 3:57am
post #3 of 9

Never used one before...I have baked 14" cake without one successfully...But it wont hurt to try this time...
Thanks for your prompt reply!

... icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif It just dawned on me that I altered the recipe! Well, just added an extra egg, but it is "liquid" and putting extra liquid in a recipe can alter it...Not sure though, because the other two worked out, it's just the larger ones... icon_cry.gif

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 4:00am
post #4 of 9

hope it helps. im really not sure what else it could be.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 4:06am
post #5 of 9

a heating core really can make all the difference! Good luck!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 4:34am
post #6 of 9

It takes a lot longer for the heat to reach the middle of a cake that large. If you dont have a heating core, use the upside down flower nail. Also if you have baking strips use those. If not, you can sacrifice a kitchen or bath towel and cut it into strips make your strips about 3 inches wide. Fold them in half. wet with cold water, wring out some of the water, wrap it around the pan and pin together with a straight pin. This helps keep the edges from cooking way before the middle. Also bake at 325 not 350.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:09am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva

Never used one before...I have baked 14" cake without one successfully...But it wont hurt to try this time...
Thanks for your prompt reply!

... icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif It just dawned on me that I altered the recipe! Well, just added an extra egg, but it is "liquid" and putting extra liquid in a recipe can alter it...Not sure though, because the other two worked out, it's just the larger ones... icon_cry.gif

Yeppers that will do it, that extra egg created likely too much liquid. Not so much a problem in the smaller cakes, but in the larger one, you are right, it isn't so much the fat in the centre, it is the liquid. Also, fill your pans a little less, these larger pans need room to expand and they cook better when only filled about 1/2 full. If there is no room for expansion they won't rise the same way or cook in the centre as well. When you add an extra egg you have to compensate by using more dry ingredients or cutting back on the oil, particularly with the larger pans.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:16am
post #8 of 9

Youndefinitely need the heating core! And I can't stand 3" pans, too high for me!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:22am
post #9 of 9

Heehee, well I have baked up to the 14 inch square without a heating core, a flower nail or bake even strips and not had a problem. Should I say yet, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%