Tylose Or Egg White In Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By CakeTumbler Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 2:34pm by pegalter

CakeTumbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTumbler Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 6

I'm using modeling chocolate clay for the first time on a cake that is only for display purposes. Since this cake needs to hold up over a longer period of time and be safe to travel with it, I'm wanting to make my modeling chocolate dry harder with less fear of it softening under certain temperatures. Has anyone ever added something like tylose or egg white to modeling chocolate to make it less tempermental? Any other ideas?

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 6

My personal opinion is that there is nothing that will overcome the amount of fat in chocolate/candy melts and stop it from being heat sensitive.

The egg white and tylose/gum tex, etc. work with the powder sugar and water based fondant/gum paste because they work on those items and cause the paste to be more elastic and dry faster.

I recently took a class using modeling chocolate and the instructor said she puts tylose in it....................it was hot and humid and the modeling chocolate was, forgive me, crap. It definitely was NOT improved by having tylose in it. She also had us roll on PS and that made it even WORSE! Tylose just has NO effect on the fatty chocolate......

My personal method is to make the modeling chocolate and while it's still warm (before allowing it to set up overnight), I squeeze out as much of the fat as I can. I also roll on CS so as not to add more sugar (that tends to draw moisture out of the air and get even stickier).

HTH
Rae

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:40am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

My personal opinion is that there is nothing that will overcome the amount of fat in chocolate/candy melts and stop it from being heat sensitive.

The egg white and tylose/gum tex, etc. work with the powder sugar and water based fondant/gum paste because they work on those items and cause the paste to be more elastic and dry faster.

I recently took a class using modeling chocolate and the instructor said she puts tylose in it....................it was hot and humid and the modeling chocolate was, forgive me, crap. It definitely was NOT improved by having tylose in it. She also had us roll on PS and that made it even WORSE! Tylose just has NO effect on the fatty chocolate......

My personal method is to make the modeling chocolate and while it's still warm (before allowing it to set up overnight), I squeeze out as much of the fat as I can. I also roll on CS so as not to add more sugar (that tends to draw moisture out of the air and get even stickier).

HTH
Rae

what "CS" ?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 6

CS is corn starch.

I hate working with modeling chocolate. It's always a greasy mess for me, no matter what kind of chocolate I use.

I'd love to perfect it, but I've tried countless things to no avail. lol

I like mixing it with fondant though, that works pretty well.

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 11:38am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

CS is corn starch.

I hate working with modeling chocolate. It's always a greasy mess for me, no matter what kind of chocolate I use.

thanks for the reply lol

i love 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant to cover cakes. It hardens better and to me its easier to cover the cake with BUT its a PIA to prepare lol, having to kneed the modeling chocolate into the fondant takes alot of time lol. I usually use modeling chocolate for cupcake toppers but in this heat not so much, i think the heat causes it to "sweat" oil more and it makes it very difficult to work with! icon_sad.gif

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarxosugar143

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

CS is corn starch.

thanks for the reply lol

i love 50/50 modeling chocolate and fondant to cover cakes. It hardens better and to me its easier to cover the cake with BUT its a PIA to prepare lol, having to kneed the modeling chocolate into the fondant takes alot of time lol. I usually use modeling chocolate for cupcake toppers but in this heat not so much, i think the heat causes it to "sweat" oil more and it makes it very difficult to work with! icon_sad.gif

I hope if any of you are ever in Portland, Oregon you will come by my place, Chocolate Craft Studio. I have been teaching modeling chocolate for many years and would love the opportunity to show you a few tricks, change your opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%