Cake Would Not Sell At Fireman's Auction

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm by dreamacres

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 26

OK CC'er just need to put my broken heart out there. I made a flag cake to donate to a fireman's cake auction. Actually made three cakes but the flag cake was the one that I put my heart into. (Cried while making it, I am such a whimp, my son is serving in Iraq now) I was sure that this cake would bring a nice donation for the fireman. I sit and watch undecorated homemade cakes with icing running of them and toothpicks in the top bringing $300.00, undecorated cookies in plastic wrap bringing $200, boy was I excited when I seen my flag cake come up for bid. No one would bid on it! The auctioneer finally placed a $50 bid and bought it himself. The auctioneer keep saying the cake was in honor of the soldiers serving, nothing. It was not for a few mothers here on CC that took the time to post and tell me it touched them I think I would cry. Why........ I sit and listen to the people comment that the cake looked good and that it should be selling for alot more money but nothing........ Thanks for listening and may God bless the soldiers and keep them safe. I pray it was something to do with the cake not that no one cared.

25 replies
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 26

Are you serious?!!! I feel your pain, the cake is AWESOME sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 26

Oh, my, I'm so sorry. The cake is really beautiful. But it does evoke a sad feeling...perhaps that is why people didn't want to bid on it?

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 26

I just saw your cake and it looks fabulous!!! the only thing i can think of is that it looks professional while everyone else's looks home made. So maybe that had something to do with it. It looks like the kind of cake you buy at a fancy bakery.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 26

Ah, I'm sorry! Maybe the audience was just "caked out" by the time your cake came up. I had the same thing happen at a silent auction. I'd made a cake for a book signing that was to be auctioned off for the literacy lab. It was a collection of all the books by the 12 authors there for the signing. They didn't get any bids for it so the authors all pitched in and bought it and ate it at the after-party. I was really disappointed because I thought it was pretty spectacular, too, and for a great cause.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1522081.html

I don't think it had anything to do with your cake. Yours was a very good cake! Auctions are always a crap shoot.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 26

aawww... thats a hard one.... dont take it to heart... your cake really is very well done.... just one of those things....chin up..... thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Oh, my, I'm so sorry. The cake is really beautiful. But it does evoke a sad feeling...perhaps that is why people didn't want to bid on it?

That was my first thought. It would break my heart to cut it!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 26

I love your cake and have been saving patriotic cakes lately in my favorites for inspiration for when I try to do one of my own. One thing that came to mind as to why it may have not had bids is for some reason some people, mainly around my dad's age, 70's, think it is disrespectful to wear clothing that mimiks the USA flag. Maybe some see a cake the same way. I myself do not. Some may have not been able so see themself cutting into the flag. Who knows. It is a beautiful cake. Sorry this happend to you.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 26

Your cake is absolutely stunning but as soon as I opened the pic I thought..maybe it was the fondant. People think they don't like fondant..or that it will taste bad. It is a gorgeous cake but I can see how people wouldn't know what to do with it...if that makes sense. Not sure the average joe would buy that for dessert for dinner that night. But man is that cake stunning.

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 26

I agree with most of the replies posted here. Your cake is BEAUTIFUL! It inspires a somber feeling of respect and patriotism. Most likely there was no one there with enough money to offer for a cake they would be "unable" to cut and eat or serve. How could you disrespect a cake like that by cutting it? So sorry you were hurt icon_sad.gif but for sure it wasn't because no one liked it. They just revered it too much.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 26

It's a LOVELY cake! Do you think people were intimidated by it, maybe? It is really quite beautiful, and obviously made w/ tons of love and pride by a warrior's mother. Thank you for the sacrifices your son and your entire family are making, in order for us to sleep safely every night.

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

One thing that came to mind as to why it may have not had bids is for some reason some people, mainly around my dad's age, 70's, think it is disrespectful to wear clothing that mimiks the USA flag. Maybe some see a cake the same way. I myself do not. Some may have not been able so see themself cutting into the flag.

This was the first thing I thought of as well. Don't get bummed out by it. It is an absolutely beautiful cake.

Thank you to your son for choosing such an honorable profession. usaribbon.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 26

Aww...I'm sorry. I think auctions are hard for that reason.

Was at a teddy bear auction and one lady had made Alice (Wonderland) and one the Mad Hatter....both had put equal time and work into these valuable artist bears...and the Alice went for four times what the Mad Hatter went for. I felt so bad for the artist that made the Mad Hatter.

Your cake is absolutely beautiful. Prayers for your son.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 26

1) if the previous cakes were going for $300 or so and the cookies for $200 or so as you indicated, then by the time they got to your cake they were BROKE!

2) I wouldn't have bid either even if I did have the money (as if!). Reason: too maudlin. As it the tricorn flag it is the flag which most of non-military associate with funerals and death without realizing this IS the way the flag should be folded all the time. Adding the white gloves (again associated with funerals) and the "honor them" only sends it further over the top in terms of "sorrow."

If however, it had been a free flowing flag wrapped around helmets and uniform hats (fire, police, military) it still would have honored them all -- active, retired, deceased -- with out focusing so specifically on the fallen.

A valiant effort on your part.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 26

I have to agree with Doug, while it's a beautiful cake it reminded me of my father's funeral.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #16 of 26

I agree with Doug unfortunately - the workmanship is excellent, and it can be seen how much of your heart and soul you put into it, but, I'm English, and the first thing I thought of was it represented the loss of a loved one...sorry, your cake really is amazing xxx

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #17 of 26

Your cake is absolutely amazing, but I agree with other CCers. The first look at your cake reminded me of all the killed soldiers in war (God bless their souls, and their families). The other thing is dishonoring the flag (specially when it resembeles a memorial flag) that might caused the cake not selling in the auction.
Any way your cake is beautiful.
God bless your son for choosing to protect his country and us, and god bless you for raising such kid.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #18 of 26

Please don't take this the wrong way, your cake is so beautifully done, but the first thing I thought of when I clicked on it was death & funerals. Too me it depicts the sadness that so many families have gone through at a loved ones funeral.
Its also the US flag. Some people find food or clothing depicting the flag as disrepectful. Just before July 4th I posted a link to a flag cake on another cake website I thought some of the decorators might find interesting.
In a matter of minutes I received a reply from a long time decorator who considered putting the flag on a cake as disrepectful. Her thoughts were the flag cake is cut, then eaten, and eventually eliminated.
All in all, that post was quite an eye opener as to how some people think.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 26

I think you cake was done beautifully and there is so much attention to detail. However, I am with the others that think it looks as though it is honoring those that have died. I also do not think I could cut into a flag cake or would make one because of what it means to me. I'm not saying it is wrong to make a flag cake, I just don't want to cut into it or eat one and that is my personal opinion. Don't get down about not selling it and keep up the great work, let us see more of your creations!
evelyn

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm
post #20 of 26

In addition to what's already been posted, it's possible it was just too over the top for the occasion. The cakes that were bid on were being taken home to have for dessert the next night. Your cake is gorgeous and it deserves to be given a place of honor where people will see it and it will be a centerpiece. I can't be the only person who would think "that's too nice for us to just have for dessert". There were probably no bids because people felt like they shouldn't just take it home to eat it.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:40pm
post #21 of 26

Your work is flawless. I opened the link to your cake before I read the other comments. Immediatly a lump came into my throat and I could see the flag being passed to a grieving mother or widow. That's the only reason it didn't sell.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 26

Same, also felt like a funeral cake. Beautiful

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #23 of 26

Your cake is stunning! The workmanship really shows the pride you have in your country and your son. Thank you and your son for the sacrifices being made to protect my freedom. With that being said, I agree with the other CCer's statements. My first impression was that the cake honored the fallen soldiers and I'm not sure I could have eaten the cake either. Personally, I think it took the bidders by surprise and the bid timing was too quick for them to wrap their brains around it. Keep the chin up and the fondant flowing! You do awesome work!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #24 of 26

I am so sorry, It is a beautiful cake. ((hugs))

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm
post #25 of 26

Your cake is beautiful and brought a tear to my eye. You did a great job. Sometimes, we just need to know we did our best.

Here's a shoulder, a hug and a tissue. I have some left over carrot cake scraps, Wanna come over for coffee? icon_biggrin.gif

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm
post #26 of 26

thanks so much guys. Lots of food for thought and great to know others care. CCer's great. Have a great day

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%