Newbie Question..rolling Fondant

Decorating By Cohaja12 Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm by DianeLM

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 6

Cornstarch or Powdered Sugar?

Which one do you use to roll out your fondant?

After lurking on this site for awhile and Oohing and Ahhing at all the beautiful cakes, I've decided to try my hand at making one. My head is filled with all this cake knowledge and there are so many methods, I don't know which ones to do. I'm afraid if I fail, I'll get discouraged and just move on to the next hobby.

I'm not looking to do this professionally. Just for fun icon_smile.gif

Any input would be great appreciated.

You all are very talented!!

5 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 6

I personally use cornstarch, its boils down to personal preference, But for me, i have very Hot hands, i find using powdered sugar just makes them more sticky than anything!

And the great thing about cake decorating dodrill, Is that your 'failures' and 'mistakes' Are edible, so its all to easy to destroy the evidence! lol, But saying that, Your 'failures' and 'mistakes' can become some of the best methods of learning, But working at it and figuring it out that it didnt work that way, so next time, il do it this way . . And so on and so forth icon_smile.gif

Rome wasnt built in a day, It does take a little practise, But its worth a little hassle to get it right, because once you do, You'll be proud as punch icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 6

I don't use either. I use a tiny bit of shortning. No dusty spots on the fondant, and it works perfecly. thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 6

Another vote for cornstarch here. I don't like to use powdered sugar because it tends to dry out the fondant. Cornstarch is slippery, so a little goes a long way.

I'm not a big fan of the shortening method either because I still get a bit of sticking.

Try all three and see which works for you.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 6

I've never had a problem with it sticking, I use a vinyl mat though, maybe that helps!

I do use cornstarch on the smaller pieces that I make, that I want to dry - and it works perfectly on those.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

I use a vinyl mat, too. It just seems to have too much 'drag' with the shortening. It rolls out so much faster and thinner when I use cornstarch. Maybe I'm just a weakling. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%