The Perfect 'glue'

Decorating By AngelinaMomof3 Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm by KayMc

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 9

The professionals may know this, but the newbies may not. I was watching some Wilton videos and saw that Nancy made 'glue' out of fondant and water. So I tried it... I took a 3/4'' ball of fondant and a 1/2 teaspoon of water and mixed and mashed.. I let it sit until the fondant was dissolved and it is the most amazing glue! When I'd make figures sometimes their arms would slide, or the water just wouldn't hold them together. Every figure that I pieced together yesterday has held together without any help. I know there is a brand name of glue for gumpaste and fondant but I have not found it. I save all the little jars from colors when they get empty, I wash them out and store them and now I have the perfect little jar of glue.. Hope it helps someone..

8 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

Thanks for posting angelia icon_smile.gif I used to do this too but now i use my Tylose powder, mixed with bowling water and allowed to cool, its so cheap and makes an excellent edible glue icon_smile.gif x

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 9

I can not find tylose.lol. I wish I could. I'll have to order it online from somewhere..

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 9

If you have a Michaels, JoAnns, or Hobby Lobby, they carry the Tylose pwd.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 9

It also works with gumpaste...I take a ball and drop it in a couple teaspoons boiling water and melt it....it is great!!

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 9

I honestly check Michaels and AC Moore weekly, cause I'm there every week.lol They don't even have a stick on the shelf, but now that I know others can get it there I'll have to ask them about it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

If you have a Michaels, JoAnns, or Hobby Lobby, they carry the Tylose pwd.

None of the above mentioned stores carry Tylose. It can only be found at dedicated cake deco shops or online.

Those stores do carry gum tex, a Wilton product, and it can be used to make gum glue by mixing it with water.

Rae

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 9

My old Wilton teacher told us about using left over gumpaste bits and just keeping them until we need glue. Then just adding a bit of water.
Works great!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 9

I use a small piece of gumpaste, and dilute in about 2 Tbsp of water. It's the best glue! And cheap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%