Wilton Doll Cake Fell Over In Oven

Decorating By lucyk43 Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 7:04pm by Caths_Cakes

lucyk43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucyk43 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 6

i tried to bake a doll cake using the wilton wonder mold today but it fell over in the oven. i guess it was rising unevenly and so became unstable - plus it has that bolt on the bottom which sits between slats on shelf.

how can i stop this happening again?

should it sit the mold in a dish of some sort?

i am in the uk and used two cake mixes (not as popular as scrach cakes over here but as that was what the recipe called for i complied!). could that be part of the problem?

all advise gratefully received!

5 replies
Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 6

The pan should have come with a metal ring that you set it on to keep it flat. Then you put the whole thing on cookie sheet before putting in the oven. The bolt would sit inside that ring, not between the slats.

lucyk43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucyk43 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:37am
post #3 of 6

a metal ring!? well, that explains a lot. no such ring in box. i'll be getting in touch with shop i bought the tin from.

thank you for solving this!

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 6

Your Welcome! Good luck!

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 6

Mine had a metal stand that I attached with the nut and bolt. Check your instruction sheet it shows a diagram of it. Good luck!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 6

Lucky, im from the UK, got the same pan from lakeland, No ring or stand or anything, i was told one didnt come with it as it wasnt needed :O ! so now, i place it in a small victoria sponge tin so its not sitting on the bars of the shelf icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%