Grocery Store Cake Decorators

Decorating By SweetPatsy Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 1:10am by Unlimited

SweetPatsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPatsy Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 4

What skills are required to get hired as a decorator? I know speed........what else. What did you know when you were hired?

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 4

base ice a cake
buttercream roses
shell border
how to write on a cake (and so you can still read it)

these were the basics. Any other borders are great to add some variety to the case along with any other flowers (buttercream of course)

I didn't know much when is started but i had GREAT co-workers that i learned A LOT from. Between everyone i have worked with i've learned about 5 different ways to make a buttercream rose (b/c everyone had their own way of doing it which gave a different look, so i watched/learned/and practiced)

airbrush knowledge would be helpful, but it isn't that hard to pick-up and i don't think is a requirement as someone there can teach you pretty quickly.

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 4

Most places if you seem like a hard worker would be willing to train you.
-The Caketress

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPatsy

What skills are required to get hired as a decorator? I know speed........what else. What did you know when you were hired?

It's true, sometimes, no skills are required. If you are applying during a peak season, any able-bodied person that shows up for work on time and enthusiastic to learn can be hired to help the decorators with simple tasks and can work their way up to a decorator position when it's available. You might be assigned to help customers, ring up sales on the register, ice cakes, fry donuts, package orders, or put coconut on bunny cakes during Easter!

If you already have decorating skills and don't need too much training, hopefully, they'll recognize it so that you can advance sooner.

It wouldn't hurt to brush up on the basics like icing a cake, making borders, leaves, roses, and doing writing/piping. Speed and consistency is a plus, but that comes with experience as you learn to do things their way while watching how they'd like it done.

Best of luck if you're applying for a job soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%