Wilton Bc... Yuck

Decorating By JoneaG Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm by JoneaG

JoneaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 16

Hello, So I just got back from my first Wilton Class. The instructor showed us how to make buttercream and I bought the can of Wilton Buttercream sold in the store to practice with. And after tasting it i have decided its really gross and I would never serve a cake using it. So my question is, do I have to use the recipe shown in the Wilton book or is there one that I can use with the same consistency that will work just the same. Thanks for all your help!

15 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 16

I wouldnt see a problem with using a different recipe for the american BC. I have used both Sugarshack icing and Indydebi crisco based buttercream. The recipes are on here....they are super yummy and easy to work with. And they crust just like the wilton BC but the taste is soooooooooo much better. Who says that you have to tell your instructor your not using "Wilton BC'?? For all they know....its just BC icon_smile.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 16

IndyDebi has amazing BC, but I haven't tried Sugarshack's yet (though I did just get her dvd!)

My first Wilton instructor said she didn't mind what we iced the cake with, but wanted us to use Wilton BC for the decorations, that way if there were any issues with consistency, it'd be easier to diagnose and fix.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 16

any and all 'criscocream' recipes will be disgusting - how anyone can put that vileness in their bodies is beyond me (like to know what that stuff does to your liver?!). Don't waste your time, use all butter or just don't bother!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 16

I make the wilton recipe with all butter instead of crisco (i only add vanilla for flavoring), love the taste

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 16

Anything wilton tastes gross!!! I was a wilton school drop out. If you like a great buttercream try making a swiss meringue buttercream.
Best of Luck
- The Caketress

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

Anything wilton tastes gross!!! I was a wilton school drop out. If you like a great buttercream try making a swiss meringue buttercream.
Best of Luck
- The Caketress

Don't use SMBC or IMBC for the Wilton class. It's not the same and your instructor won't be happy.

Go with a crusting BC as mentioned previously--either sugarshacks or indydebi's.

I would make Wilton BC for decorating use for the same reason PP said.

ClassyCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyCat Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 16

My Wilton instructor specifically asked us not to use any recipe other than the Wilton recipe for our class cakes. She agreed that the taste wasn't the greatest, but stated that "for the purposes of this class", use the Wilton. Basically because she tested our consistencies (stiff, medium, thin) prior to each class, and she could more easily figure out any problems if we were all using the same icing. She was an awesome instructor, and I had no problem with using it just for my cake class. Now that I've completed the class, I'm ready and excited to try IndyDebi's recipe!! thumbs_up.gif

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

Anything wilton tastes gross!!! I was a wilton school drop out. - The Caketress

That is too funny.

I have never tasted the kind you can buy. I always added real vanilla to the class BC and it tasted much better, although I don't use it anymore. As long as you use a crusting buttercream, you should be able to get the different consistencies.

JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

any and all 'criscocream' recipes will be disgusting - how anyone can put that vileness in their bodies is beyond me (like to know what that stuff does to your liver?!). Don't waste your time, use all butter or just don't bother!

Oh thank you, I was hoping someone told me I could use all butter, the crisco makes me gag. The instructor told me it had to be that way.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 16

I think it's a great idea to use the Wilton all shortening buttercream - it can last for 2 months without refrigeration so it's great for practicing with and you don't have to worry whether the classroom is hot or cold (all butter icing will be so difficult to work with if you are in a warm or hot classroom filled with warm bodies or if your hands are hot (grasping the icing bag) and you are trying to make a buttercream rose for the first time it's one extra difficulty you just don't needicon_smile.gif Hope you do well and learn lotsicon_smile.gif I found the classes extremely usefulicon_smile.gif

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 16

I don't see the point of taking a course if they just teach cookie cuttter techniques with bad recipes. I'm assuming you want to learn how to actually decorate a delicious cake. Wilton just truly fails in that aspect to me at least.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 16

It's true that Wilton doesn't do delicious very well but for just learning the basic techniques and to learn about the various tools etc - it sets up a pretty good base. After the course it's so much easier to go on forums like this one and learn the important stuff - how to make a delicious cake with delicious frosting and get creative ideas and advice on problems - without needing to ask "huh", "what", "what's a star tip" etc etcicon_smile.gif

JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. Maybe I will just use the Wilton one to learn with and once I am actually doing "real" cakes that I want to taste good I will use a different one. I just don't like the taste or the look of Crisco Buttercream, and my teacher made it seem like this is the only kind out there. I guess I will learn as I go, Thanks a mill!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Oh thank you, I was hoping someone told me I could use all butter, the crisco makes me gag. The instructor told me it had to be that way.

Absolutely you can. Anyone who tells you that you can only get bc to crust with a shortening based recipe is talking out of their behind. My all butter bc crusts up just fine (at least enough to smooth it using the Melvira method). Although, once you get beyond the basics, do try a meringue buttercream - they are divine in both taste & texture and a gazillion times easier to smooth just using a hot spatula.

JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 16

RowesHunny- Thanks a bil! I can't wait to really get all of this started, I am so excited. All I have done really is make a ganache and a peanut butter buttercream (with butter icon_smile.gif ) and it turned out pretty damn good so I can't wait to do more! Thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%