Looking For That Stuff That Sucks The Water Out Of The Air..

Business By ButtercupMama Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm by PattyT

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 18

Sorry, I tried a search, but I'm not coming up with it...

There was a thread on this forum a few months back regarding some product that helps absorb the water from the air in your fridge or walk-in cooler?
I though it was called Cooler King, but I must have been mistaken?

Anyhoo, I desperately need it now... the cakes in my walk-in are wet, wet, wet! Gross!!!

(Yes, we have a dehumidifier, but it's just not cutting the mustard!)

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 18

There something called Damp Rid that that my dad used to buy. It came in cartons like orange juice he just would open the top and set them where he needed them. He would buy them at the local lawn and hardware store. Hope this helps.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 18

I can't imagine the carton damp rid stuff works better than a real dehumidifier. Does your dehumidifier have the humidity read out on it? Maybe it is broken...?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 18

If you're talking about those packets they put in packages to keep the contents dry, they are called silica gel packets. But I think checking for the root cause of your problem would be better than putting a silica band-aid on it. That much moisture in your walk-in might be a sign of a cracked seal in the door, allowing moisture in, or something else that can be fixed.

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 18

I heard of something that they make in the US - it's natural (I think it's made of volcanic ash) I wish I can give you more info, but I took a class with Bronwen Weber and she's totally raving about this man and this product.

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 18

Hmm, well, we've been dealing with the problem for years, have asked every service tech, and also the health inspector. We've dumped thousands of dollars into walk-in repair, and have had 4 different companies out to check it.

We bought the dehumidifier for this purpose, and although the gal at Sears said it's not made to run at 40 degrees, it does. Mostly, we keep it running right outside the walk-in, and it works fine, and during humid seasons, it's tank fills up daily. During dry seasons, I have no problems and everything's dry as a bone.

So right now I'd try any product to supplement the dehumidifier!

And, Piece of Cake, if only your MIL could use her evil sucking powers for the sake of good, and come suck the moisture out of my walk-in, I'd take her off your hands.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 18

Ron Ben-Israel said once he uses 'Desicant' packs, I checked online before and I could only find industrial quantities, 50lbs bags.
I have a serious issue with humidity with my double door fridge too.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 18

Actually desiccant is just a description of what the packet does. It means a "substance that induces or sustains a state of dryness." rice is a desiccant, as are some types of clay. A "desiccant pack" usually contains the silica I mentioned. If you search for silica packets you should be able to find smaller quantities.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 18

For residential refigerators they are called Polar Fresh filters. Here is the link:


One filter lasts about 4 months and you get two packets for the crisper drawers as well.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 18

I, too, took a course from Bronwen Weber and she raved about the guy who saved her money on her utility costs AND she was saying that the humidity in her cooler was up in the 80% range before and down below 40% I believe. I don't remember the name of the guy that she said did the work, but contact her at [email protected] and ask her. I got her email from the Frosted Art facebook page.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 18

I'm the one on here who started a thread when I found Cooler King, and I've been using it since I got the free samples. Verdict?
I'm not sure if its made a difference or not. I haven't had many cake problems such as running black, etc, but I still have condensation on cakes if I'm not careful. I think mostly it is how much you open the fridge and how humid it is in the bakery.
The sales guy Henry emailed me last week to see how it was- he was in the hospital since I last spoke to him, which was May. I haven't written back though. Hopefully we'll figure it out, because I really really really want it to work.

I do have to say the Polar Fresh samples he sent for the upstairs fridge will dry out Strawberries in one night or less!!icon_smile.gif Maybe I'll try those!

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #12 of 18

I may know how to solve all of your huimidity problems! I opened up my shop about 6 mo ago- and it was the first time I had used a commercial fridge. RUINED about the first 4 cakes I put in here- they came out with pools of condensation on them. Called the guy at True and he talked to my hubby about a solutiuon. Basically, the humidity is created when the fan is running but not the cooling condenser. So- my hubby rewired it so the fan would only come on when the cooling unit does. IT FIXED IT COMPLETELY!!! Dry as a bone now!! It did take us a day or two to reregulate the temp just right- because you do have to run the fridge a little bit cooler to compensate. Try it!!

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 18

You do know that air conditioning units cool the air because they take the humidity out of the air, right? Believe it or not, a small A/C unit inside the fridge (the smallest you can find), can also fix the problem! But the solution right above may be the key to fix your problem! Good Luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 18
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

My mother in law!

Oops, I thought you said you wanted something that sucks the life out of you. nevermind. icon_wink.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 18

Creative cutters sells the desicannt in packets if that is what your looking for. But you can go to places like Walmart and Target and buy Damp Rid in big buckets that does the same thing!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #16 of 18

You can buy them at makeyourownmolds.com

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #17 of 18

cakesonoccasion- doesn't that negate your warranty? I have a Tru as well, so we may look into this.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 18

U-Line or anyone who sells shipping supplies. All sizes from the little teeny packs to drums!
Here's one link from their site and it says FDA approved.


Quote by @%username% on %date%