Beginners Dilemma!

Decorating By sarahm84 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 3:25am by playingwithsugar

sarahm84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahm84 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:24am
post #1 of 7

ok so im new to this but have watched my mum make some gorgeous cakes over the years. i have recently had a dabble and managed ladybirds, castles and even a Lamborghini cake. People seem impressed by these and im getting more requests of friends which im willing to have a stab at.
a friend has recently asked for a 60th cake for his mum, 3 tiers. one for each 'stage' in her life. childhood, when she met her hubby and had kids, and the top tier is now. I intend to decorate it with edible pics and gumpaste models. some of the things i need to do i am a little stuck with so im going to list the 'help' items below and see if any of u good people can assist! thanks!

a spiral staircase ... out of gumpaste? this is for the childhood tier at the bottom.

i wud love a link to a good gumpaste tutorial for people and cats!

where can i get edible pictures printed, or the best place to buy the inks myself

thanks again! x

6 replies
eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:36am
post #2 of 7

Hi! good luck with cake. sounds amazing.
I'm not really sure about most of your questions but another CC-er did a list of tutorials for figures that I found this week. It doesnt have cats listed but maybe you will find cats by one of the ppl that make the other animals on the list.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099-rylan.html

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:50am
post #3 of 7

A spiral staircase? Wow- when you get that one figured out make sure to take step by step pics-- that would make an AWESOME tutorial!

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:36am
post #4 of 7

Sounds like an awesome cake, sorry I don't have much advice for you other than the edible image thing. I haven't actually ordered from this site, but I am planning on it soon. Looks really cool. Hopefully someone else has more suggestions for you. Good luck!
http://www.gogocake.com/

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:35am
post #5 of 7

You can usually get pictures printed at the grocery stores that use the edible ink pic. They run about 5 to 12 dollars a sheet.

sugarLOVEbySierra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarLOVEbySierra Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:47am
post #6 of 7

Hey Sarahm84! Hmmm for the staircase.. I think it would look very nice in gumpaste or fondant.. mabe you can cut into the cake a spiraling staircase around the cake.. and place the gumpaste or fondant staircase ontop.. make sense?? LOL.. kinda confusing and hard to explain through text.

Eve81 posted the link to rylan's page.. he's posted a whole list of how to make different characters for everyone... awesome!!

here is a link to purchase all the things you'll need to own your own edible printer. If their printer is too much for you.. you can buy a printer at a local store and purchase edible ink cartridges to put into the printer.

http://www.kopykake.com

Good Luck!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #7 of 7

Check with a doll house supply company to see if they have a plastic or wooden spiral staircase kit, and use it for templates and inspiration.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%