Jaffa (Orange) Mud Cake

Baking By Sweet_Toof Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 3:29am by sweetcakes

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:33am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys,

I have a recipe for a plain chocolate mud cake (dense chocolate cake)
Its got 80ml water and 3 teaspoons of instant coffee

I've had a request to make a choc orange mud cake
Problem is, do I leave the coffee in there (which is only really there to enhance the chocolate flavour as far as I know)... and ADD orange juice, or orange flavouing essence too? Or should I take the coffee out because then I'll have too many liquids...
oh... or orange rind - but how much? (The recipe that I used that had 3tsp coffee was a 7" cake pan).

3 replies
bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:23am
post #2 of 4

I was recently trying to make a dark chocolate cake taste like Jaffa cakes (which are seriously hard to find in the US!). I ended up substituting fresh orange juice for the water in my recipe and added several drops of Lorann orange oil. I didn't change any measurements, and I left the coffee in mine...It was a fantastic cake, but next time I'll use some sort of orange marmalade in the filling (it's just not a jaffa cake without the jelly!).

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchumley

I was recently trying to make a dark chocolate cake taste like Jaffa cakes (which are seriously hard to find in the US!). I ended up substituting fresh orange juice for the water in my recipe and added several drops of Lorann orange oil. I didn't change any measurements, and I left the coffee in mine...It was a fantastic cake, but next time I'll use some sort of orange marmalade in the filling (it's just not a jaffa cake without the jelly!).

What is the American name for our version of Mud-cake? Is it Mississippi?

I read somewhere that someone had put the zest of 2 oranges in their mud-cake, but now I don't know where I read it, and I wanted to ask how big that cake was!!
Thanks though, I will keep the coffee in there because I think that will help keep it rich-chocolate... I just don't know how much orange I should add - I think I'll put the zest rather than orange artificial flavoring though......

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #4 of 4

what about making the orange jelly (jello) with less water then called for and let it set up in the cake pan that you made the cake in, either lined with saran wrap or well greased. let that set up firm and then place that in the middle of the cake. Like you said a Jaffa isn;t a jaffa with out the jelly section. I think that would be yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%