Cake Support

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 19

what do you use to support the overall weight of a cake (especially a stacked cake)? I know you can use the SPS or whatever stacking method for the tiers, but what do you put under the whole cake? Just doesn't seem like a piece of cardboard or foam core would be sturdy enough. Thanks icon_smile.gif

18 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 19

I use a piece of ply wood my husband cut for me.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #3 of 19

I also use plywood. I have a round piece and a rectangle that I cut. I glued little feet on them so they are easy to pick up and I, of course, cover them each time I use them.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I also use plywood. I have a round piece and a rectangle that I cut. I glued little feet on them so they are easy to pick up and I, of course, cover them each time I use them.

I do this as well. It works great. I even cover it with contact paper depending on the color of the cake.
make sure you put the feet on it like was mentioned above. That is a must thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #5 of 19

Ditto on the plywood thumbs_up.gif I use a smaller piece of plywood screwed under that, instead of feet. You can't see the smaller piece, but you can get your hands underneath it to move the cake around. I paint these, then cover them to patch the cake.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #6 of 19

I use plywood for round...or a wooden table top. For squares I use a ceramic tile....they come in all sorts of sizes. I just cover them and they work great!

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:49am
post #7 of 19

If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot in your area, they have a section of plywood pieces from other cuts they have made and they are very cheap or they will cut a piece to size for you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #8 of 19

I used to use plywood. Now I use drums

JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 19

leah_s, what are drums? sorry, I'm a little new.

Also, plywood sounds great! Do you all get these back or do you have to make new ones for each cake?

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 19

I use 1/2 inch MDF, then cover it with the paper of my choice-- I really like the idea of feet though- I think I am going to do that!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 19

So leah, the drums are just cardboard? They support the weight of a 3 tier cake well? Thanks!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 19

I use plywood most of the time as well. I usually cover it in paper to match the cake or sometimes just freezer paper with the shiney side up. Sometimes I cover the plywood in fondant.

I used to ask for the plywood back but then my husband just cut a bunch in different sizes for me so I don't have to worry about it. But that "feet" idea? Definately going to have to remember that! Thank you all for that tip icon_biggrin.gif

I have used drums too. They are much sturdier than just plain cardboard so they'll support your cake no problem. That's what they're made for.

I also like the idea of ceramic tiles. I may have to try that sometime. I love all the information I get from CC. You all are great. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGettinStarted

Also, plywood sounds great! Do you all get these back or do you have to make new ones for each cake?

If you want your plywood back to reuse, charge a deposit for it or there's no incentive for anyone to return it. It's also helpful to have your business name and phone number permanently marked on the reverse side along with a message "Please return for deposit" or similar, so if it accidentally gets thrown out at a venue, hopefully someone will notice that it wasn't intended for the trash.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 19

I mostly use drums, but have used plywood in the past (esp. squares) and also the masonite ones you can get -- here's a link

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=873&s=30&name=Cake%20Boards,%20Boxes,%20Doiles,%20Foil%20&%20Ruffle/Masonite%20Cake%20Boards

to make them taller I either use card board rounds or foam board and cover the whole thing with contact paper.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:10pm
post #16 of 19

I stopped using drums, after a small disaster. I can get my plywood back most of the time, but I just bake for family and friends. Plywood, is just a lot more secure!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm
post #17 of 19

I've been using plywood more lately, it's just so cheap and sturdy. I also use 3 good cake board hot glued together, then cover them in foil but the plywood is still stronger and cheaper.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:21pm
post #18 of 19

Great info thumbs_up.gif
Thanks to all!!

JustGettinStarted Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks everyone! You all are so helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%