How Do I Make These Chocolate Sides?

Decorating By Kirsty1983 Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 10:55pm by Kirsty1983

Kirsty1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kirsty1983 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:18am
post #1 of 20

The cake i wanted to put on here used marble chocolate but i can't put pictures on here for some reason so here is the link to a similar cake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisamorriscakes/2299821592/in/photostream/

How do i marble chocolate and then make these chocolate planks to go on the side? Does also does anyone know what these chocolate sides 'planks' are called?

19 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:47am
post #2 of 20

I'm going to guess it was melted white chocolate. I've never done this, but going off the photo alone, I'd say you could pour melted chocolate into a pan (maybe an 8x8 square with a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom - maybe a little extra long so you can pull the whole thing out later- like you can do with brownies). Fill it so you get the depth you're looking for (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so). Let it set up until it's almost completely firm and then cut it to size with an exacto knife. Then put in the fridge and let them get hard.

That's how I would do it. You mentioned marbling. You could create the marbling effect when you pour the chocolate into the pan. Just use regular chocolate and white, marbling them as you see fit with toothpick.

I'm sure someone out there has a better idea. But if you asked me to do it tomorrow and I had no other ideas, that's what I'd go with. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kirsty1983 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:01am
post #3 of 20

thanks heaps

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #4 of 20

I recently did the same thing, but I used pieces of MMF that had dried overnight.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 20

Yeah, you could probably do something with fondant or gumpaste too, to create the sides and then paint them with food coloring if you're wanting to make it look like wood or something. Or marble together the two colors of fondant before you roll it out.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 20

How about a mold like this, obviously not this one since it has butterflies, but they do make other shapes.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=637589

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 20

Take narrow strips of something (I would use plexiglass) and lay them side by side how ever wide apart you want the piece to be on parchmet/wax paper or silicone, something the chocolate can be relased from.

Pour the chocolate/s into the space, marble, then using a spakling/joint compound knife - from the hardware store - run it over the two strips to level the chocolate (make sure the strips don't move).

Let it firm up.

Then using the same spakling knife (cleaned), dip in hot water, dry with paper towl and cut the chocolate into the appropriate lengths.

The cutting is the most difficult part since the chocolate will be fragile.

This is how I would do it. HTH. thumbs_up.gif

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 20

You can buy the chocolate squares online

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 20

these are called 'shards', they look awesome don't they! I have a book which teaches how to make the individually, but because you want the sharp edges like your example, then this might help:
http://vipantrywedonthaveablogblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/caramel-mudcake-with-white-chocolate.html

Please note, my internet connection is acting up, and the photos on that page won't load. But from memory I'm almost certain that the shards are similar to the ones you want.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:32am
post #10 of 20

Pretty much what carla said is how I used chocolate to make my City Skyline cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1219555

Melted the chocolate and poured into one of my 18x26 baking sheets. the trick is knowing when it's hard enough to cut yet not so hard that it cracks and breaks when you cut it. The chocolate was still in the 'soft' stage, but firm. Used an exacto knife. I also had a template (made just out of regular paper) that I traced around, which you may want to think about for perfect rectangles.

zespri Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:35am
post #11 of 20

indydebi, that's so unique! Can I come and stay with you and apprentice, I like your style icon_wink.gif (jokes, I live on the other side of the world, and I think my husband would object)

zespri Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:37am
post #12 of 20

by the way, where do you get an 'exacto' knife? hardware stores? craft stores? I bought something that LOOKS like it from a $2 shop, but the blade won't stay in, it's rubbish. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:48am
post #13 of 20

A good art store (crafts) should carry them.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:07am
post #14 of 20

I use the moulds from CK Products number 90-13221. If you look on my website Page 4 Amy S. or Page 11 Ali. Just fill the moulds and wait to set. So easy.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:22am
post #15 of 20

Indydebi, that City Skyline cake is amazing. Can you tell me how thick are the chocolate pcs and how did you attach them to the cake? Do they break easily?

indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 6:05pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Indydebi, that City Skyline cake is amazing. Can you tell me how thick are the chocolate pcs and how did you attach them to the cake? Do they break easily?

They are about 1/8" to 1/4" thick (give or take). I attachd them with plain 'ole BC. They only break easily if you handle them too long .... the heat from your hands weakens it. Using food safe gloves actually helped, but I still had to work quickly. Once they were in place, they hold up pretty well ..... unless the sun shines in thru your van window, which is a whole 'nuther story! icon_redface.gif (not on this cake .... on another.)

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks, indydebi! My friend's DH's birthday is coming up...he's an architect, and I think the chicago skyline would look so cool done in this technique. Of course, I'm not a pro, but even a crude approximation would nice in chocolate.

I really need to get my photo sharing problems resolved so I can post some pics (my DH insists on installing Linux on all our computers, and my camera just doesn't want to play nice with it!)

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

totally off topic, but Debi I was so amazed a few weeks back when a South African bride emailed me a copy of that cake and wanted me to replicate it.
I recognised it instantly icon_smile.gif

Sadly she didnt like the price I quoted her icon_sad.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 20

I would make those planks out of modeling chocolate.....

Kirsty1983 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 20

thanks so much..it will help too now that i know they are called shards

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%