Store Bakery Asked Me To Come Back To Work!

Decorating By HobbyCaker Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm by -Tubbs

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

The store bakery I use to work for called me today and asked me to come back to work for them just as the Cake Decorator.

I worked for them 6 yrs ago for 2 yrs as a bakery asstistant/cake decorator and the hours were just too much at the time as I still had a son at home. (5:30 am until ???, 5 days a week) The new hours would be just when cakes were needed, so I would be on call. I am a empty nester housewife right now, kids both grown and gone, DH on the road 4 days a week with his job, so the on call wouldn't be a problem.

I have mixed feelings, but will get to continue doing something I love and get paid for it. ( $$$ For new Cake Toys icon_lol.gif )

I would love to see them expand their Cake line, they have no airbrush, edible image copier, and they don't do any fondant work. HMMMMM!

I haven't made a sheet cake in so long, or buttercream roses, HA! icon_lol.gif Guess I'll have to get busy and practice! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 7

That sounds like a great way to fill some empty nest time, get some practice and like you said, extra cake toy $$.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 7

Sounds like a great opportunity.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 7

I don't know how long you've been an empty nester, but I've heard that it's easier if you keep busy.

So, when do you start? Do you think you're going to go back? Sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck. (you might not have time to practice your BC roses if you're starting soon, but I'd think it's just like riding a bike--once you learn, you don't forget.)

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 7

Hey congratulations!! thumbs_up.gif Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I'm almost an empty nester myself and I'm almost POSITIVE that my spare time will be spent on cakes & more cakes! I've already got plans for one of the spare bedrooms. It will now become an area for new cake toys!!!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 7

If they like you that much and want you to come back i dare say you could probably ask them to get the airbrush and slowly the other items that you think would improve their cakes and make your work easier there. I also work on call for a bakery i used to work at. I cover their regular decorator when she takes vacation, or she calls in sick (in case she does, i think shes only done that once when she broke her toe) and then if they are extrewmly busy. If it doesn't work out perhaps you could help train a new decorator and then be on call or do less hours. They can be long days, standing when you start at 5.30am.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 7

Sounds great! Is it a big store bakery where they do cakes from a catalogue and there won't be the flexibility to increase the artistry of the cakes? Or maybe a smaller independent store who will allow you to fly? That may make a difference in your decision. If it's the latter it would almost be like having your own business, but without the financial risks and without having to do the grunt work!

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%