Dummy Cake

Decorating By KateyCake Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 7:33am by brincess_b

KateyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateyCake Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 5:37am
post #1 of 4

A prospective customer is asking for a quote on a 3 tier fondant wedding cake (6"-8"-10") He said they will not be serving the cake as they're serving separate desserts so he wants only the middle layer to be real cake (for the cake cutting) and the other two dummy. I've never done dummy cakes and don't know how to price them. I don't think the price would be much different as the decorating work would be the same. Maybe just a little cheaper on the cake ingredients. But I'd like to know how other bakers charge for cakes like this so I can justify my price to my customer. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:27am
post #2 of 4

Good question, I will be waiting to see the answer too! thumbs_up.gif

beckycrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckycrocker Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:59am
post #3 of 4

I have never used dummy cakes, but I've read about other people using them on this website. They have said that styrofoam dummy cakes are just as expensive as real cake. You'd have to check around and see if you could get a decent price for them. As for the decorating, you are still taking the same amount of time to decorate, so that should be the same as real cake too. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 7:33am
post #4 of 4

in other posts, it looks like people charge 80%-100% of the cost of normal cake. again its a case of sitting down and figuring your costs. although not extortionate to buy, shipping can be a shock, considering they weigh nothing! or else your making a trip to a shop to buy them. time= cost!
you save on crumb coating, but you still need to ice and decorate, so there isnt too much saving there either.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%