How To Cover A Cake Board??

Decorating By robin3845 Updated 5 May 2014 , 7:03pm by Lfredden

robin3845 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin3845 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 9

Just wondering if any body has a suggestion to cover a cake board. I'm doing an ivory wedding cake and don't want a silver board. I usually use fondant but I'm looking for other suggestions. I've looked for an ivory foil roll but no luck. I thought about a nice paper or something but I'm afraid that it will rip and get stuck in the cake when it gets cut!!! HELP!!

8 replies
mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 9

I use fondant. I am not a big fan of colored foil.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:26am
post #3 of 9

If I use paper to cover my board I then cover the paper in the clear cellophane wrap that you can buy on the roll. Depending on style of wedding maybe the board could be wrapped in a similar shade of their wedding colors.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:53am
post #4 of 9

I am all about a fondant board. It doesn't have to be plain or just rolled with an impression mat/rolling pin. More and more I am seeing where the boards are now an extension of the cake and I think its great. Paint it...polka dot it, fluff it...bring on the fondant!!!

mygirlssweet Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #5 of 9

[/quote]Paint it...polka dot it, fluff it...bring on the fondant!!!

I agree!

mygirlssweet Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #6 of 9

maybe someday I'll how to do a quote on here icon_wink.gif

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #7 of 9

Just wondering if rice paper wouldn't be an option. You can get some really nice effect with rice paper and its edible.

serkyen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serkyen Posted 5 May 2014 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 9

Here's a video tutorial on how to cover a cake board with fabric. It will work with probably any fabric and any cake board size and shape. Also shows how to protect the fabric while working with your cake, using a sheet of clear cellophane. After your cake is finished, you can simply cut the cellophane around the edge of the cake using a sharp blade and remove it leaving a nice clean fabric board while the cake still sits on the cellophane.

http://www.yenersway.com/tutorials/cake-construction/cover-cake-board-fabric/

Hope this helps someone :)

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 5 May 2014 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 9

AIf you decide to use paper make sure your cake is on a thin cake board so the paper won't get stuck on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%