Have You Ever Stuffed A Cake?

Decorating By Cargen Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 11:57pm by mommynana

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:17am
post #1 of 13

I baked a chocolate cake tonight and tested it as I took it out of the oven and it was done. About 5 minutes later, the whole middle sunk and I mean BAD icon_mad.gif I got the idea to cut the middle out of that cake and stuff the middle with pieces of the hump I cut off from the other chocolate layer. It was not one big piece that I could insert in the middle, but rather lots of little pieces. Now I am really nervous b/c I don't know if this will work. From the outside you can't tell, but will it be OK when they cut into it.

Have you ever done this before? Does it work?

12 replies
bakin4u_N_lovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakin4u_N_lovinit Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:31am
post #2 of 13

you can do that but i wouldnt reccomend it it makes the cake very fragile and when they cut it it will be a bunch of cake crumbs

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:48am
post #3 of 13

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebake!!!!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

DarleneP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarleneP Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:49am
post #4 of 13

This happened to me once on only one layer - so i dugout a hole in both layers and filled it with mousse-everyone loved it......they thought it was that way on purpose icon_lol.gif

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:35am
post #5 of 13

You can always stuff it with paper towels like Bill Cosby did.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:22am
post #6 of 13

i'm not worried about "stuffing" the cake, i'm worried that it fell. If it fell then something was off, most likely it wasn't done (it may have needed just another min or two if it looked like it tested done)

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 13

You possibly under baked your cake and that might be why it fell.

I also vote for a rebaking of that layer, for what it's worth.

divadane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadane Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 13

Cakeville, how funny!!! I remember that episode! Hilarious.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:41pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneP

This happened to me once on only one layer - so i dugout a hole in both layers and filled it with mousse-everyone loved it......they thought it was that way on purpose icon_lol.gif

Good save!!!!! I'll bet it was yummy!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 13

Maybe next time (if it ever happens again) do a mortar. I've done it before and it worked fine. I just make sure I use that as the top layer.

Like maybe next time, you remove the cake pan and it takes out a hunk of the middle (this happened to me before I got to baking the CC way) so I've done it tons and my mom has done it tons.

FYI--this no longer happens to me. I've become wise b/c of CC. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 13

I hope it's a cake for fun and not a cake that someone is paying for!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 13

If its just a cake for your family to enjoy, then stuff away or fill with mousse, etc! If someone is paying for it, I personally would re-bake. The cake will most likely fall apart when it's cut into. No matter what you do, its definitely frustrating when a cake "malfunctions"!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 13

this happn to me two weeks ago i baked a DH cake and when it cooled and i went to look at it i thought someone was under the table and sucked the life out of it. the top was flat as a pancake it pulled away from the sides of the pan i could`t belive what i saw, you know where that cake went it was supposed to be an 8" cake i think it went to 4" icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%