Opinions

Decorating By divadane Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 12:15pm by divadane

divadane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadane Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 13

does anyone think that i need dowels to support a 9oz precious moments figurine to be place as a cake topper on a 7 inch cake with 3 layers?
your responses are appreciated, so please keep em comin'! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:44am
post #2 of 13

Those figurines are pretty heavy. I'd dowel them with bubble tea straws.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:45am
post #3 of 13

I wouldnt think so ., as long as it sits on a board icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 13

I would try to support it as best I could. I'd be afraid of it falling off the cake and braking.

divadane Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 13

interesting... i've never heard of bubble tea straws. any idea where i can find them?

divadane Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 13

ohhhhhhh! i just googled it. so they're just plastic straws (not bendy) --- easy to find.

thanks for your replies icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:59am
post #7 of 13

yes.

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:24am
post #8 of 13

If you question it....do it. If you think you might need to support it, do it. Better to be safe than sorry.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:43am
post #9 of 13

A 9oz. topper on a 7" cake definitely requires support under it.

A single hollow Wilton plastic dowel will do the job, as would 2 bubble tea straws or 3 wooden dowels.

Rae

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #10 of 13

Ok I'm obliviosly wrong lol not the first time ! But, 9 oz sure didn't seem heavy at first but thinking about it now it is 1/2 lb ! Sorry !

divadane Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:29am
post #11 of 13

lol that's ok, sweetness! icon_smile.gif i thought the same thing.

i've read a lot about when to put in supports and a lot of ppl seem to do it AFTER the fondant is placed (so that the server can easily remove them before cutting the cake)........... makes a lot of sense, but on the top layer?

it almost makes me want to do a diff cake topper, if it means i won't have to put holes in the top of the cake...

thoughts?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:07pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by divadane

lol that's ok, sweetness! icon_smile.gif i thought the same thing.

i've read a lot about when to put in supports and a lot of ppl seem to do it AFTER the fondant is placed (so that the server can easily remove them before cutting the cake)........... makes a lot of sense, but on the top layer?

it almost makes me want to do a diff cake topper, if it means i won't have to put holes in the top of the cake...

thoughts?

if the topper is sitting on the dowels, no one will see the holes. Once the cake is dismantled and cut, no one cares about the holes.

It's way better than having to give a refund because the topper sank, or worse yet, fell off of the top and damaged the bottom tiers on it's way to the floor where it broke and "ruined!" icon_surprised.gif the bride's memory.

divadane Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 13

i know... but still. it just seems painful to take all that time (for this novice, anyway) to smooth out the fondant, only to put holes in it!
i guess i'll have to place the figurine, lightly 'trace' the outline with a toothpick, and place the dowels accordingly icon_smile.gif
thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%