Flavor Suggestions, Please

Decorating By divadane Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 1:09pm by divadane

divadane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadane Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 6

i'm doing an "anything chocolate" cake --- recipient's words, not mine icon_smile.gif

i have the chocolate bavarian cream filling (country kitchen) but i'm not sure if a regular devil's food cake would be a good combo with that...

does anyone have a recommendation for me, re: a good chocolate cake (mix, preferably) that pairs well with chocolate bavarian cream?

TIA.

5 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 6

Duncan Hines make a Swiss chocolate box mix. I have used it with a few different combinations of fillngs. I always get rave reviews!! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

divadane Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 6

that's awesome - i will try that!

now, have you done tiers larger than 9''? because that's my next task. not being a math whiz, i'm nervous about not knowing how long to bake the cakes if i do tiers of 11'' or 13''............. (they don't tell you how long to bake large cakes on the back of the box!)

any idea if there's a baking time conversion chart somewhere? icon_smile.gif

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by divadane

that's awesome - i will try that!

now, have you done tiers larger than 9''? because that's my next task. not being a math whiz, i'm nervous about not knowing how long to bake the cakes if i do tiers of 11'' or 13''............. (they don't tell you how long to bake large cakes on the back of the box!)

any idea if there's a baking time conversion chart somewhere? icon_smile.gif

I have a 3 tiered wedding cake in my photos that is a 12, 10, 6 if you want to check it out. It's the only wedding cake I've done so far.
Basically, I just check the cake batter every now and then with a toothpick in the center for doneness. Idk, about a conversion chart, but generally, my bigger cakes 12' and over take approximately 45 min to an hour at 350. But, every oven is not the same, so just keep a close eye on your cake and you will do fine!! Test the center with a toothpick. When it comes out clean and dry, it's done.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 6

stick a flower nail in your cake and lower your baking temp. to around 325, I've even dropped it down to 300 for REALLY large 3" tall cakes.

divadane Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 6

great tips -- much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%