Help! Golf Cake For A Girl Ideas?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 13

A lady I know asked me to make a cake for her daughter who is turning 6. She is having a golf party and likes the color blue. She "suggested" that there should maybe be a figure of a girl swinging a golf club but other than that had no ideas. I would love to do that but have so far been unsuccessful in making a figure that stands up! My thoughts thus far include having the side of the cake with an argyle design and then the top of the cake green with a putting green and flag? I don't know. Any thoughts for golf cakes for little girls?

12 replies
HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 13

Love your idea of the argyle print and putting green, what about a small molded blue golf bag with clubs sitting on the green, might be easier to mold and stand up rather than a figure, also the Flag being the number of her age. Just some thoughts.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks! Oddly, I never thought about the golf bag. Duh! Love that. What other ideas do we have?! Thanks in advance!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 13

Few ideas from my files. If the mother is set on the idea of a figure, you can always "sit" the girl in a golf cart. I see that you've done cars. You can do a number 6 (a simple one) as the golf course, too, and put a ball in the center of the 6 (sand) and sit her "thinking" how to get the ball out of there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohyum/4887943628/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31987135@N04/3642610801/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhonarobb/4369554223/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anitajamal/3200226331/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40003561@N02/4324543858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbyerinsalerno/4848476174/

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Few ideas from my files. If the mother is set on the idea of a figure, you can always "sit" the girl in a golf cart. I see that you've done cars. You can do a number 6 (a simple one) as the golf course, too, and put a ball in the center of the 6 (sand) and sit her "thinking" how to get the ball out of there.

/

ooooh i love that idea, or maybe in a watertrap trying to hit the ball out so you'd only have to make half a body? would make it easier to "stand" up. even have a little splash as the club hits the water icon_lol.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 13

Yes! And that way you get blue (her favorite color) in the color scheme as the water...

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 13

Those are cute ideas! I love the idea of only making half a person and putting her in the water or sand trap. I'm not great at modeling figures in the first place and am really just not in the mood to try and make one stand up! If I do try and make one stand up, do I put skewers in the legs so I can poke her into the cake? I love the idea of a 6-shaped cake! She wants to feed 25 so I was going to propose either an 8 inch round or an 8 inch square depending if she wants extra cake. How big would a #6 need to be to feed 25? I've never done numbers before and I have a terrible time judging how many people a carved cake feeds. Do you think I could do the sides of the 6 in argyle? I really do like that idea with the top of the cake being the golf course? Thanks for all your ideas!

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 13

***If I do try and make one stand up, do I put skewers in the legs so I can poke her into the cake?**

If you figure it out then let me know. I've been asked to do a cake for my uncle who is a runner! They want him running through a finish line. o-k! That'll be easy..........
I have to play about with it next week. but I imagine skewers in the legs (or just one leg when running) is a must. good luck with it. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 13

One skewer in one leg. I haven't done it, because I hardly have time (I work full time for a magazine), but I've ordered the videos from this woman in Argentina (Marcela Capó) for figure modeling, and there's always one skewer sent through one of the legs. She doesn't have many videos on the internet, but check this one (

) and you can see that even when she's working on a sitting down elephant, there's a skewer going through (it's in Spanish, so have some patience at the beginning or forward till you get to 1min lol). In the DVDs there are two projects, a karate boy and also a girl, and they both have a skewer going through just one of the legs. I'm learning a lot but it's all just in my head!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:11am
post #10 of 13

Thanks that is super helpful! Seems like you would have to have a skewer. Does it go through the whole body or just the leg? Like I said, I'm not very good at modeling figures yet. The ones I have done are fairly rudimentary and could use some improvement!

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #11 of 13

A skewer through one leg. Then she trims it and leaves a little bit left to insert the torso. After inserting the torso, she inserts a toothpick for the head and lets it to dry for about two days. Then she inserts the head. Wish you could see the videos! Of course she makes it look really easy.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #12 of 13

check out the golf cake in my pics - you could do something similar, but with a figurine sitting on the edge of the top tier (or just on the edge if the cake were only one tier). She could be holding a club across her lap?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #13 of 13

MJoycake, that is a cute cake! I sent a message to the mom to see if she likes the #6 shaped cake with argyle on sides and golf course on top. I think that would be really cute. I drew it out as best I could and I think it looks good. Its just modeling the figure that scares me! I can always make her sitting down though. I like the idea of putting a club across her lap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%