Would A 60 Serving Wedding Cake Be 5", 7", 9"

Decorating By hollyberry91 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 1:19am by tokazodo

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 13

Does 5, 7, and 9 inch tiers sound right for a 60 serving wedding cake? Will it look silly being that small. I've already had issues with the bride trying to "bargain" on the price and i have a feeling she's expecting a a giant 3 tier cake even though she only wants to pay for 60 servings. icon_sad.gif

12 replies
srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 13

What about doing the layers larger but do one as a dummy?? I wouldn't be cutting back much on cost though, but if it's the look you're after that might be a consideration. Just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 13

I can;t help with the # of servings for 5 and 7" pans because I don;t carry them. For consults sometimes when I get the sense that a bride is questioning the size, etc I either stack pans or dummies for her so she can see the proprtions, etc. I find most people are visual. Also if you want to give her a bigger presence maybe you could do a design with interesting spacers in between tiers to give more height to the cake.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 13

it's practically 60. If your slices are 1"x2"x4" (8 cubic inches), it breaks down to this:

pi x radius squared x height = cubic inches for your tier

5" round:
3.14*(2.5*2.5)*4= 78.5000

7" round:
3.14*(3.5*3.5)*4= 153.8600

9" round:
3.14*(4.5*4.5)*4= 254.3400

254.3400+153.8600+78.5000= 486.7000

486.7000/8= 60.8375

make sure each tier is at least 4" high and you're good

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 13

Yes, it's a perfect 60 servings, no it won't look silly. All of these wedding cakes below were 60 serving cakes (don't often have big weddings here):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1736875.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1464711.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1438330.html

and the servings in each tier are 5=10, 7=18, 9=32

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 13

Another CCer posted this website to help determine how much cake you will need for X amount of servings (a cake calculator). Here it is.....

www.shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

HTH

hollyberry91 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you for responding!! Im only charging her $3 a serving because it is just solid white tiers and she's providing the flowers. So i don't think it would save any money to do dummies : ( I tried to look up serving amounts on the wilton chart but it doesn't list serving amounts for 5 or 7 inch tiers : (

hollyberry91 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 13

Whoops posted my reply before i saw the last few postings! Thanks so much!!

metria Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Another CCer posted this website to help determine how much cake you will need for X amount of servings (a cake calculator). Here it is.....

HTH

haha that's me. unfortunately Wilton's charts don't include a 5" or 7" pan, so i had to crunch the numbers.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Quote:

HTH

haha that's me. unfortunately Wilton's charts don't include a 5" or 7" pan, so i had to crunch the numbers.

and I've actually made and served them several times, so I know my numbers are good icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif !

metria Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Quote:

Quote:

HTH

and I've actually made and served them several times, so I know my numbers are good icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif !

i luv luv luv that Purple Gerberas cake!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:16am
post #12 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

HTH

LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was being Miss. Lazy Bones and didn't look through my saved threads to see who had posted the info icon_redface.gif . Sorry about that.

I'm sure your numbers are right on icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 1:19am
post #13 of 13
Quote:

HTH

Very Cool! New Toys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%