Cake Decorating Party

Decorating By chattycakes Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm by chattycakes

chattycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chattycakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever hosted a cake decorating party for kids? If so do you have any pointers my daughter is turning 11 and want me to do a decorating party!

5 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't done an actual party, but I have taught the girls at church who are your daughter's age.

My only advice is to frost and smooth the cakes for them, and make sure you have rubber bands or the Wilton bag ties for the bags; no matter how much you try to tell them, they just want to squeeze that bag from the middle! icon_lol.gif

You also might pick a theme for the cakes to try and guide them a little bit, otherwise they just love to pile the frosting on at that age, which they may do even with a theme.

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 6

I have done a cupcake decorating party. It was a blast. I did a lot of prep work to make it go smoothly. I had a little "kit" for each child. It was a cute plate, cupcake, plastic knife, and a souffle cup full of frosting.

In the center of the table, I had various items:
shakers of sprinkles
fondant cutouts (dots, flowers, hearts, etc)
m & m's
gummy bears

All of this was set up prior to the party, so each child went to the table, picked a plate, and went to work.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 6

I have! I would bake a bunch of 4 or 6"" cakes (I did 6") and pre-frost them white so that they are ready to go. Then I bought several duplicates of of inexpensive basic tips... so that they wouldnt be any disagreements over them... then I made a huge batch of icing and filled up several disposable bags with multiple colors and then let them have at it. They had a blast! Most the time they just want to do what they want to do, but you could be on hand for any pointers if any of them ask. icon_smile.gif I think its a great party idea!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 6

I just thought of something else I did. Since I was specifically teaching them (vs. an actual party) I copied a few of the Wilton practice sheets with drop stars and writing on them and taped them to the counter top underneath waxed paper for them to practice a few times before they tried it on the cake.

HTH

chattycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chattycakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

Yes I think definately will be pre-icing them and I was thinking the 6" cakes. Have any of you ever rolled fondant and stored it roled out between wax paper or something like that? I know we can't let air get to it just was thinking how much easier it would be if I had it pre rolled for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%