Does Anyone Know What This Piping Style Is Called?

Decorating By chelseak Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm by tesso

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 18

This is a cake from Dingeldein's Bakery in PA. I have been scouring the web, clearly in the wrong places...Does anyone know if there is a bigger picture of this cake anywhere or pics of similar styles? My brain isn't working today LOL Here is the link if the pic doesn't work

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oZuFDni50Qs/SR9wBBOODUI/AAAAAAAAFNM/RNlrUE0SdAc/s1600-h/27.jpg

17 replies
anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 18

Here's a close up from the bakery's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1619443&fbid=77144388761&op=7&o=global&view=global&subj=87494203114&id=712153761

It looks like it's just a bunch of small dots. It's such a beautiful cake!!!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 18

In embroidery that style is called candlewicking. It is where small knots are used to draw the design and is very lovely. I love it on the cake.

Sandy C/SoFla

chelseak Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks so much! It really is a beautiful cake. I will do a search for candlewicking and see what I come up with. I looked on their FB page, but I guess I managed to miss that one! Thanks again icon_smile.gif

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 18
chelseak Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the link anxietyattack! I didn't really find anything under candlewicking unfortunately icon_sad.gif I am looking for something very similar to the design on the cake.....Does anyone know if that kind of piping has a specific name? Like baroque or filigree or something like that? Thanks so much for your help!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #7 of 18

Wow!! That is a cool technique!! Thanks for sharing everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:51am
post #8 of 18

An easy way to candlewick is to use the scrapbook stickers that are raised patterns. Press them into the cake for your pattern/template and then use a very small round tip 00-01 with very thin royal to pipe the dots. Grammasue did this for a competition cake at the Cincinnati Sugar Show. She is the one who told me how to achieve this look. Her pic below -- a little more modern than the cake pictured, but the same basic idea. HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1328191

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:14am
post #9 of 18

Until I read all the posts...I would have called it swiss dot embroidery...

But the last post gave me an idea. They sell "bling" in the scrapbook store (Archivers) that are in the forms similiar to the cake that was posted with the black and yellow. Since they are raised crystals, I would think you can press them and you will have an indent to place your dots!

I love the look!!! Now if anyone knows how to get the look with a metallic looking gold...please post. They can't possibly paint royal without it breaking down, or can you?

chelseak Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:52am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlNga

They can't possibly paint royal without it breaking down, or can you?

I am not sure about this but I would also like to know..... icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:10am
post #11 of 18

I have seen them paint royal on some of the cake shows. I think as long as it is completely dry, and you use something with high alcohol content to mix the luster dust with you will be ok, since the alcohol evaporates quickly.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:37am
post #12 of 18

You can paint sugar veil without it breaking down.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

Until I read all the posts...I would have called it swiss dot embroidery...

But the last post gave me an idea. They sell "bling" in the scrapbook store (Archivers) that are in the forms similiar to the cake that was posted with the black and yellow. Since they are raised crystals, I would think you can press them and you will have an indent to place your dots!

That's exactly what I meant when I posted my tip... you did a much better job describing it! thumbs_up.gif

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 18

This is the MOST beautiful cake design I have seen in a long time..

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 18

I googled "candlewicking designs", and the first site was free patterns for beginners. You could print these, use transparency film to create a stencil of the dots, lightly stencil onto icing, or use a toothpick to make small marks, then pipe over. There are several designs, including a quilt pattern!

Something else to add to the list....!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #16 of 18

Now I need to find another reason to make a cake so I can try this!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:15pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

Now if anyone knows how to get the look with a metallic looking gold...please post. They can't possibly paint royal without it breaking down, or can you?

You absolutely CAN paint royal icing with luster dust/alcohol paint. It's how I make all my royal icing tiaras silver or gold.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

Quote:

They can't possibly paint royal without it breaking down, or can you?

I am not sure about this but I would also like to know..... icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

oh yes, you can definately paint RI. I do it all the time. You can use amerimist airbrush paint, just paint it on. Or you can use lusterdust and mix with everclear or vodka. (I am an everclear girl icon_biggrin.gif) once mixed you just use a clean paint brush and have at it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%