Americolor Super Red

Baking By SSGirly Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 5:31am by pastrygirls

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 13

Does it give off a taste when using it for red velvet cakes/cupcakes? If so, do you recommend another color or brand?

12 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 13

i haven't used it for cake or cupcakes but i use in in icing all the time and never have found a funny taste. it takes a lot less of this red than wilton red to get a nice red (imo).

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 13

IMO the Americolor red does give a chemical taste. I use the Wilton no taste red.

ponderiffic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponderiffic Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 13

I LOVE the Americolor Super Red. It works wonders and it never has a weird taste to me in my icing. After using Wilton, I found that this was much easier to use and yielded better results. I have never used it baked though so I can't be sure. I usually use the liquid red food color.

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 13

Ok, well, I used it and i agree with dah. it does give a chemically taste. maybe because i needed so much of it (2oz for the batter). i just dont think those small wilton tubs are practical though... I guess i'll have to keep experimenting with my red velvet recipe.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 13

another option, you could try is CK candy color (oil-based) red. it gives very vibrant colors without having to use as much as water-based gels like americolor and wilton.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 13

According to an Americolor representative that I have talked to, their colors are a little more concentrated. You can use half the amount called for in your recipe and still get a good color for your Red Velvet cake. I know a couple of people who have used it and have not had issues with a chemical taste.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #8 of 13

I use this for my red velvet, I use 1/2 of what I would use with Wilton. If you are making a white cake colored red then you can use the color of your batter as an indicator at how red your cake will turn out. Keep in mind that it will only get just so red... if you add too much you will dye the colons of the people you are feeding the cake! But red velvet recipe tip: if your recipe is an oil/vinegar/baking soda (a traditional recipe!) your red will darken when you bake it (the vinegar/BS combo does something chemically) so you don't have to use as much extra coloring. I've even made a batch with only 1/4 tsp of red and was really happy with the more natural red of it. Also, if you use apple cider vinegar it will enhance the red further.

bake-aholic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-aholic Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 13

I've had great success with Americolor Super Red. If your recipe calls for 1 oz red food color (which is 6 tsp or 2 TB), then use half that amount for the Americolor (3 tsp or 1 TB). I actually find they taste better than when I use the liquid stuff.

bake-aholic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-aholic Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 13

I have test tasted several different ways of using different types of red color in red velvet cake. I've decided I do not care for the use of Americolor in the batter of red velvet cake. The traditional liquid color you buy at the grocery stores is what I grew up with, but after playing around a bit with this, I am most satisfied with using the Wilton NO-TASTE Red. I use 1/2 ounce (1/2 a jar) per every 2 TB called for.

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 6:56am
post #11 of 13

I use something similar to what you would get in the market, most recipes have this in mind for the quantity. I've never had an issue with an off taste from the color. I was going to recommend picking up the pint bottle at smart and final, since it's cheaper, until I realized it's a regional chain.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:07am
post #12 of 13

I use their Red Red instead. I used to use Super Red but I like the bright red look of Red Red. It doesn't take much and I can't taste it

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:31am
post #13 of 13

i use powdered red color and its pretty cool stuff. use a lot less to get the deep red color, no flavor change, and it doesnt change the consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%