Interesting Reading About Fondant

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm by uniquecreations

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 23

The second article (about Ace of Cakes) is pretty interesting.
http://fondantinfo.com/

22 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 23

That was interesting. I've actually seen threads on these boards saying Charm City Cakes do not taste that good.

I've had many people say they like the taste of my mmf...especially the kids. Also, I think it keeps the cake nice and moist.

I wonder why they don't recommend making your own.... I've always had good success making homemade mmf. As a hobby baker, and not turning out a lot of cakes, it works well for me.

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 23

Exactly. It probably taste awful cuz of what its made with. MMF is way better than any fondant I have ever bought at a store. This person who wrote the blog doesn't know what hes talking about.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 23

I use Fondx & it always tastes good because I flavor it. I always put a good layer of BC under the fondant which is flavored the same or a complimentary flavor of the fondant. I try & keep the fondant fairly thin too.

debbief Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 23

So I wonder, does anyone disagree with the statement regarding using a mixer? I just bought a KA 600 pro with the understanding that it was powerfull enough to mix fondant. I've made a couple batches in it so far and it works really well. But I'll have to admit, I've been nervous about burning it up. I'm sure it's got to be pretty hard on it right?

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

So I wonder, does anyone disagree with the statement regarding using a mixer? I just bought a KA 600 pro with the understanding that it was powerfull enough to mix fondant. I've made a couple batches in it so far and it works really well. But I'll have to admit, I've been nervous about burning it up. I'm sure it's got to be pretty hard on it right?

I don't have that one so I don't know.
I was making fondant in mine for a while, but quit for the same reason.
I now just add the PS to the melted MM in the bowl stirring in as much as I can, then turn it out onto the counter to knead. It really doesn't take me that much longer to make it this way.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 23

I made mmf once and never again. And with apologies in advance, I can spot that stuff from across the room. It has a "look" I do not like at all. I've used SatinIce (buckets and buckets of it) and always keep the colors on hand. I've used Fondx and like it a lot. Right now I've gone back to PettinIce. But make it at home in a KA on a regular basis? Yes, you'll burn up the motor. I burned up three KAs making bread dough. KAs of today are not like the bad boy powerful KAs of old.

debbief Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 23

Yep I figured so...common sense I guess.

I'm curious leah_s, can you describe the "look" that you don't like? I only ask because I've seen a lot of very impressive cakes posted here that were covered in mmf. I can't tell from looking that there is any difference. Maybe the "look" only comes through in person and not in a picture?

For me, this is a hobby and it's way more feasable for me to make fondant than to buy it. I've actually tried other non-mmf fondant recipes before, but they didn't seem to work as well for me.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 23

I've never used my KA for MMF, always do it by hand, so I don't have any insight on that one...sorry. I'm curious about the "look" Leahs is referring to as well. I've made MMF many many times and have never noticed a "look". It looks just like any other fondant and tastes WAY better. And the chocolate MMF - it's to DIE FOR...I love it! thumbs_up.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 23

The "look" to me, is lumpy.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

These are MMF - not sure what the "look" is, unless the cakes you have seen have been made with MMF that wasn't made properly.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1467595

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1532173

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1367777

My point exactly. I wouldn't be able to tell this was or wasn't mmf.

Lumps??? I don't see any lumps in these cakes.

You may however see lumps in some of my cakes, among countless other flaws, but I'm new and still learning, so you can't really use me as an example icon_wink.gif

Those are beautiful cakes Loucinda. I especially love the "Touch of Elegance" icon_smile.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 23

debbief- this blog was first posted in 2006 and last posted in 2007. Maybe back then things were different?
Leah_s- I have made several styles of MMF and i've never had good results. I thought I was the only one.. I thought that maybe since i only worked with the premade fondant i was used to it and the homemade one was different and that's why i didnt like. I dont too much care for the way fondant tastes like but i heard that wilton came up with a much better flavored one.

Loucinda Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 23

I make MMF exclusively for my cakes (one of my selling points icon_wink.gif ) and have never had a problem with it. I know there are some who have issues with it, but for me, it works perfectly each time. I don't use a mixer though, I knead it by hand. (and I have lots of experience with artisan breads, so maybe that is why making the fondant isn't a big deal for me?)

IMO, Duff rolls their fondant WAY too thick. That is hard to UN teach people - they see it on tv and think that is the way it is supposed to be.

(and thanks for the nice comment debbief) icon_smile.gif

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #15 of 23

I too make my own MMF. I have a commercial 20 quart mixer and have had no trouble with the fondant. I was using Satin Ice until recently when I couldn't believe all the cracking problems I had. I have to travel an hour and a half to by my fondant and when it acts like it did, it's is so frustrating!

If I make my own, I know exactly pretty much everytime how it's gonna turn out. A big plus is coloring the marshmellows in the melted stage. I get much better results and don't kill myself with all the kneeding. People have loved the taste also. I can make it in advance and wrap it well and store it in my Satin Ice Buckets.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 23

Kellbella, I'm with you. In person the MMF I see around here is subtly lumpy. Nothing big, but it's there. But my compliments to Loucinda on lovely cakes. Those look very smooth.

I think that everyone loves chocolate fondant!

Loucinda Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:10pm
post #17 of 23

Thanks Leah_s, I really think it is folks not knowing what it is supposed to be, and not working it properly. (I teach and I see it all the time)

Pettinice....can you say tootsie rolls....YUMMM. At ICES last year, I got to taste all the different kinds, and Pettinice IMO is the best tasting commercial fondant made. I would buy that one, if if weren't so expensive!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:16pm
post #18 of 23

I made MMF once and truthfully I didn't like it that much. I found it much less workable than my regular stuff. I make my own as the pre-made brands just aren't available.

As for taste...it tastes like sugar. I read posts on here and am intrigued by the bad rep some brands of fondant have. I would truly love to taste some to see if it really is that rotten.

Loucinda Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #19 of 23

The only rotten one is wilton! icon_wink.gif I just like the Pettinice the best of all that I got to taste.

(and in wilton's defense, they say it isn't that bad anymore, but I don't know, I haven't tried it lately)

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 23

I use a fondant called Regalice here in the UK and it tastes good and gives a really smooth finish. I sometimes use something called covapaste too that has a subtle taste of vanilla. I think most people in the UK always associate cakes with fondant and haven't caught on to cakes solely covered in bc

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #21 of 23

Obviously the writers of that article have never tasted Jennifer Dontz' white chocolate fondant!!! That is all I make - and I have converted several "I hate fondant" brides. I just prefer to make wedding cakes covered with fondant because I think they look more elegant (plus I am faster at covering them then trying to make perfectly smooth buttercream!)

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:32pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Obviously the writers of that article have never tasted Jennifer Dontz' white chocolate fondant!!! That is all I make - and I have converted several "I hate fondant" brides. I just prefer to make wedding cakes covered with fondant because I think they look for elegant (plus I am faster at covering them then trying to make perfectly smooth buttercream!)

I second this - Jennifer's white chocolate fondant is very delicious and it works great!

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

Obviously the writers of that article have never tasted Jennifer Dontz' white chocolate fondant!!! That is all I make - and I have converted several "I hate fondant" brides. I just prefer to make wedding cakes covered with fondant because I think they look for elegant (plus I am faster at covering them then trying to make perfectly smooth buttercream!)

I second this - Jennifer's white chocolate fondant is very delicious and it works great!

i third that. It is all I use as well and I haven't had anyone say that they don't like it!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%